Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection problem with Vista

• Please log in to reply

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hey,

I have recently installed Windows Vista on a seperate partition, the other contains Windows XP SP2. When I boot into Vista, it all runs fine and everything works well untill i try to connect to the internet. My ISP is SBC Yahoo DSL, and I am using one of there HPNA internal PCI cards. In XP I am able to set up a connection and use this NIC, however in Vista, when I try to set up a connection, the only option I am given is one that requires a Username and Password to connect to my ISP. Well, SBC Yahoo does not require a username/password to connect. On the XP partition I am using Firefox, and I have IE installed as well, and have been able to connect to the internet for over 4 years now. So there is nothing wrong with the physical connection itself, since i can switch over to xp and go online with no problems. Anyone have any ideas on how to setup an internet connection in Vista, that does not require a username/password?

--Chris

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
within vista click the "start button" > then right click on "computer" in the right side of the menu...choose manage...go to device manager..do you see any yellow ? or !

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
yes, I've checked the device manger, and at first it shows up as an unknown device, so when i try to install the drivers (frm the original cd), and it says that the cd doesn't contain any drivers for this device, but i know for a fact that they do because for one I installed the device using the same cd in windows xp, and two, i looked in xp at the exact filename, and i found that same .sys file on the cd. I'm thinking its a compatability issue between vista and this NIC. because like i said I've been able to connect via a wireless card, but the signal strenbght is extremely low and sometimes cuts out because my portal is all the way on the other side of the house.

--Chris

Kenny94

Kenny94

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
cheathawk1, I would give them a call on this???? Visa has Phone Support. Unlimited support requests are included at no charge:

(866) 234-6020

http://support.microsoft.com/vistabeta

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

yes, I've checked the device manger, and at first it shows up as an unknown device, so when i try to install the drivers (frm the original cd), and it says that the cd doesn't contain any drivers for this device, but i know for a fact that they do because for one I installed the device using the same cd in windows xp,

you do know that vista is not xp right? MOST xp drivers WILL NOT work in vista...you need to go to the manufacturer's (of your nic card) website and see if they have vista drivers

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I have gone to the manufacturers website, and my nic is no longer supported, ergo there are no drivers for vista. Thats why I was trying the XP drivers, sorry shoulda mentioned that before. So as far as using this nic to get online am I just SOL? Because the only other available option I can see is using my usb wireless card (which has almost no signal strenght since the portal is on the opposite side of the house) or get a new HPNA card that has vista drivers. Any suggestions?

--Chris

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sorry, no...pretty much going to need a new hpna pci card