Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to restore display configuration on WinXP

• Please log in to reply

wcbyers

wcbyers

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a friend with Windows XP SP2 on a PC in a work environment. They aren't at all computer savvy so they asked my help. I'm not sure where to go next so I'm asking for your's.

They ran Windows Update about a year ago and their display got messed up. They used system restore to back out the update and the display was back to normal. Recently they ran Update again and the display got messed up again (duh!). This time, they weren't able to do a restore.

Something in the update process reset the display configuration settings, including adapter type, to base level defaults. The current adapter type setting is "vga compatible display adapter" with 256 colors on 800*600 desktop area. That explains why the wallpaper picture of her dog is messed up. What I don't know is how to fix it.

Without tearing the computer apart to look at the video card, is there any way to find out what the proper settings should be? This computer is used in a medical office and I really don't want to screw anything up. Can I get it to do a plug & play search to detect the proper device? Is there someplace in the registry I can look where the previous settings might be stored?

Thanks.
-- Wes

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Hi wes,
right cick on main (background area) choose properties
then settings Tab
on color quality choose Highest(32bit)
click apply then OK

Edited by HaraldR, 13 June 2006 - 10:58 PM.

wcbyers

wcbyers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks. I'm going over there tomorrow so I will give it a shot.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you get there....also update the video card driver...and it may be in their best interest to be using windows update a bit more frequently than once a year