Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SOS HELP SOS!

• Please log in to reply

-_R1_-

-_R1_-

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hey guys/gals i got this vary annoying problem with my car i get a lot of pop up with internet explorer is there a way to disable it somw how we don't need it

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi -_R1_-...

Is it Internet Explorer you are talking about, you really DO need it. Without IE you will be unable to get updates and it is very tightly integrated to the operating system so it may cause any number of problems there.

If it's the pop-ups you want to get rid of, a trip through our Malware Forum might bring some relief. There are also pop-up stoppers built into some browsers, but I'd go for the cure rather than the cover-up.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
You want to kill Iexplore?
If you don't need updates, I'll just tell you how to kill IE...

Open notepad.
Paste in this stuff.

Removed registry hack.

Save it as "about.reg" and open it again. If the registry asks you to add this to the register, answer "Yes".
If it opens in notepad, right-click the file and select "Open with...". Then click on Browse and go to C:/Windows/regedit

The pop-ups use the "About:" function most of the times... With this registry hack, you won't have problems with that kind of pop-ups.

Removed unnecessary comment.

Edited by wannabe1, 14 June 2006 - 07:39 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
IO-error...

We don't use "registry hacks" here...particularly when they are used to "cover up" a problem. The hack you posted would do nothing but allow the infection to run unchecked while hiding symptoms from those who try to help with the problem.

We treat our members with repect at Geeks to Go. Please...if you have nothing constructive to add to a topic, kindly refrain from replying to it.

-_R1_-

Please proceed with my suggestion to let our Malware Experts help you with this issue. I think you'll find their solution far superior to a questionable registry hack. :whistling:

wannabe1