Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

More issues with the PC...

• Please log in to reply

Leo Natan

Leo Natan

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
As if the other issues I have with the PC aren't enough, now, in addition to hanging, the PC goes into "sleep mode," in which screen goes off, I hear the HDDs go off, but fans (case fans and CPU) spin as normal.

The problem usually happens when the PC is under load...

Is this another proof that the PSU is not powerfull enough to handle the PC, or is it due to overheating? The reason I haven't bought a new PSU is I'm looking at pretty high-end PSUs, and they are pricey. I'm skeptical about the PSU because all my problems started in the beginning of the summer, I didn't have them in the winter.

Any advices?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When the screen goes off, does it come back on, or does the PC reboot

Leo Natan

Leo Natan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Nothing happens.. The PC is "sleeping" (no better term to describe it). I have to restart it manually...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Two things to check are the video card drivers and the temperatures

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then sensor, look on the right for temperatures and post those

Click summary

Look on the right for display / video adapter

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Run Everest minimized so you can check the temperatures frequently

Leo Natan

Leo Natan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey Keith!

Ok, so I know it's not the drivers, that was the first thing I checked (obviously). I installed Everest Home Edition, and I get some strange results. The 'Motherboard' temp is 35-37c under no CPU load, and it rises to 47-52c (high, I know, but not critical). The 'CPU' temp 71-73c CONSTANT... CPU load, no load, always 71-73c. I guess it's a faulty detection by Everest. On the Gigabite software, that temp. is put as CPU1.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check it with speedfan 4.28 to see if you also get 73 which is too high

Information and download

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Leo Natan

Leo Natan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Already had that installed... SpeedFan lists that temp as 'Temp2,' and 'Temp1' is 0. I guess the MB is not reportin the temps. correctly, thus the wrong values.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When it has been off for a while, you could boot it and see what the temperatures are, and then how long it takes to reach 73, then switch the PC off, unplug it, open the case and see if it feels like 73, (only put your hand near anything to determine this), or check if the CPU is much warmer than everything else

Leo Natan

Leo Natan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The heatsink beneath the fan is not that hot.. I imagine if it was 73c I'd burn my finger, but it's not that hot (and I touched it while the PC was working). That 73c is wrong.. The Gigabyte software says the 'Motherboard' temp. in Everest is the CPU temp.

Edited by Leo Natan, 14 June 2006 - 04:16 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Leo Natan

Leo Natan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
How does that help me with determining if my CPU is overheating or if the PSU is weak? Was that a generic answer?

BIL123

BIL123

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Download and install Aida32, it uasally gives accurate cpu and mb temps, if you don't have it already.

Leo Natan

Leo Natan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, it gave me the same temp. I checked the BIOS, and the 'Motherboard' temp. is listed as the CPU...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's a general check up for the PC