Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crusty Old Bloke or some other expert...come help me!

• Please log in to reply

rainbo

rainbo

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Ok. I'm back with a different computer and a different set of problems.

I came here day before yesterday and posted this (http://www.geekstogo...ed-t116829.html), but since then, I've figured out what's going on, I think.

When you (Phil) were helping me the other day with my daughters computer, at the end of your post, you posted some links to other helpful things to download. I did that for both of our computers. Since then, I noticed that I keep getting the error when visiting various pages. I started looking around on the net to see if I could figure it out on my own what might be wrong, and I think I have, but I don't know how to fix it.

I first downloaded this: HOSTS (http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm) thing you mentioned the other day.

Problems started immediately after.

I went here a while ago: http://groups.google...15772f09a9189d5
This man is having the exact same problems that I'm having. They suggested he go to this site to fix the problem. http://support.micro...326155/?sd=RMVP

This is where you guys come in. I'm clueless and I refuse to screw up anything else. HELP ME!!!! I don't know what to do. I'm assuming I need to do something with the hosts thing that I downloaded, but what?

Advertisements

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
The hosts file is ment for redirecting webpages to IP's.

Example:
A game tries to login to auth.lineage2.com. Then it will go to that site, receive it's IP and the the game uses that IP.

But when you tell Windows to recognize that site as 85.57.163.2, it will go ask it's packages from that IP.

This is just background knowledge, not really help. Sorry if you already knew this. But maybe, because of this background info, you know what to do now.

Edited by IO-error, 14 June 2006 - 05:51 AM.

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Thank you for the attempt to help, but I'm totally inept when it comes to computers and I don't understand a single thing that I just read. :whistling:

I'm also seeing this error on some pages. More often than not.

Attached Thumbnails

• error.jpg

Edited by rainbo, 14 June 2006 - 05:55 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
:whistling: Ok Keith, first of all, thank you for your expertise. Secondly, something went wrong. I did everything you told me to do and didn't have a problem until I was watching the blue bar. When I put my XP cd in, it asked me

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?
Install Windows Xp
Install Optional Windows Components
Perform Additional Tasks
Check System Compatibility
I chose none of them and just left the box there since you didn't say to click anything. Throughout the time that the blue line was loading, a box would pop up periodically and it said: Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the dll cache. Insert Windows XP CD-ROM now.
Retry-More Info-Cancel
I just clicked retry each time. It finished, I took out the cd and rebooted. The problem is still here.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you load the XP CD, close the options screen when it shows

Right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, click new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
You lost me there. You'll have to break that down a bit more. Sorry. :whistling:

Edited by rainbo, 14 June 2006 - 07:35 AM.

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Oh duh, after reading it about five times, I think I've got it.

You want me to put the windows xp cd in the tower, close down the options screen when it pops up, then do the following things.

Right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, click new task, type sfc /scannow then press enter

Correct? I haven't slept since yesterday morning. That's my excuse.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's the one

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Same thing happened again, Keith.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You may want to leave this until you have had a snooze or 3 gallons of coffee

As long as you see exactly what is shown on the three graphics after you click the green XP Repair Install link, this will be the quickest way forward

If you see anything different, cancel it and post in what happened

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I better have a LONG snooze and a few pots of coffee before attempting this one. :whistling: I'll see what I can come up with. Thank you so much for all your help. :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

rainbo

rainbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Oh goodness, me too!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have another computer, click on the XP repair link and then run it on the problem one while using the other one to check it is going how it should, if you haven't got another PC near it then you can print it out