Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot boot computer

• Please log in to reply

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Yesterday my computer turned itself off then on again, when it loads up it doesn't give me the option to start in safe mode, it just goes to a black screen and says
loading from floppy not found
loading from cd rom not found
loading from bbs-o ok
boot failure
dhcp no bootfile name found
PXE E53 no boot file name
PXE -MOF failure

press any key to continue then repeats the above.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will be quickest if it runs

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XPthe article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 315222

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
hi when I switch on the computer and press F8 it just goes to
Floppy
cd rom
BBS

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Keep tapping F5 (it is usually F8 but mine is F5)

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi tried that and all i get is this Boot failure
reboot or select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device press any key when ready,when I press any key I get
Searching for boot record from floppy not found, Searching for boot record from cd rom not found Searching for boot record from bBS-0 OK
for realtek RTL8139L(X)/8130/810X PCI ethernet contoller V2. 12a (011210) Pxe-E53 no boot name received PXE M0F exiting PXE rom
searching for boot record from SCSI not found I have tried tapping F5

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi I have tried this and all I get is the black screen with no option to go into safe mode, or no start button
I get client mac add 000D 61 CF ED 86 GUID 681793D-2993-D811-8000-4E45435F4349
DHCP...
PXE M0F
EXITING PXE ROM
I have tried pressing the F2 key and F5 and I get nothing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you do this part so the PC looks for a CD instead of the hard drive

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
when I do this it just goes to cd rom not found
I have the windows cd in the drive

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, have you got a BIOS defaults / fail safe defaults option, if so load those, press F10, type Y and press enter

Advertisements

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, have you got a BIOS defaults / fail safe defaults option, if so load those, press F10, type Y and press enter

i can go to bios setup and it takes me to the amibos new setup utility-version 3.31a if i press f10 it just goes to save and exit

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On the screen where you changed the boot order, there may be a BIOS defaults option, not all have this

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

On the screen where you changed the boot order, there may be a BIOS defaults option, not all have this

i dont have it, ive got try other boot devices?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try that

Press F10 and type Y then press enter

Ellie 2

Ellie 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Try that

Press F10 and type Y then press enter

when i press F10 it just gos to save and exit and back to the previous black screen