Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Networking

• Please log in to reply

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey people!

Right I have a slight problem with wireless networking at home and I'm no networking expert.
I have a Belkin wireless router with built in modem (model F5D7630). This is attached the the phone line where the service is provided by Wanadoo (UK). I have two PCs - one, a desktop running Windows 2000 with a generic usb wifi adapter, the other an Acer laptop with a generic PCMCIA wireless adapter - windows xp.
From the desktop I can access the internet, and the router's internal setup page at 192.168.2.1 with no difficulty. From the laptop, I can do this for maybe 10 minutes after I have switched the laptop on - I can access the net, run MSN/Skype etc. but after 10mins I get the dreaded "page cannot be found" page in internet explorer and/or firefox. Nor can I connect to the router setup page at 192.168.2.1 Strangely though, MSN stays connected, as does skype - the problem seems to be in the browser. Upon restarting the system, everything works fine again - for 10mins, then round again.

Anyone experienced this before or know what might be causing it?
I can provide more details if required.
Thanks!
Adam

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
after one of the "10 minute failures"
do start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
There are none with a red cross

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
There are none with a red cross next to them.
I just connected to the router with a standard networking cable, to eliminate the wi-fi part of the system and the same thing happened - so it's nothing to do with wireless, it's something else.
Suggestions appreciated!
Adam

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i wish this wasn't a router/modem...because it w ould be much easier to test to see if it's the router if you could just connect to the modem....you don't have a stand alone dsl modem do you?

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Yes I do, a USB modem, should I connect that up and see if I have the same problem then?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...let's try that...if you have the same problem with that modem..on the same dsl line...then it's probably the router/modem that's causing the issues

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Right, connected up the separate DSL modem and the same thing happened - after 10 minutes the browsers wouldn't connect. So this must be a problem on the PC itself then?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
or the connection itself...one of the two

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Well it works fine on the other PC (desktop) so it must be my PC - any suggestions as to what it may be?

adamhaynes

adamhaynes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Good news!
I seem to have solved it (touch wood). I originally disabled Zone Alarm due to problems, and was just running the Windows XP Firewall. But I have since re-enabled ZA and everything seems to be running ok!
Strange...

Thanks for your help
Adam