Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Windows ME to XP........HELP!

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I have the Windows XP Home Edition installation Disc. What I want to know, is how difficult a process this is. Will I lose anything, such as programs I have installed, bookmarks, etc? Also, I have cable. Would the cable modem settings have to be changed by the cable company after installing XP? My wife had windows ME and upgraded to windows XP but she had already performed a complete system recovery on her computer, restoring it to it's original factory settings. It was very time consuming for her because she had to re-install her aol and msn messengers, windows registry repair program, etc, and I don't want to have to do that. Is XP all that great that I should upgrade from windows ME to begin with? My pc more than meets the system requirements to upgrade to Windows XP so that is not an issue. Any feedback on how complicated or how difficult an undertaking this is going to be would be greatly appreciated. If I have to start off by restoring my pc back to it's original "factory New" settings, then I'm not sure I want to bother with the upgrade. Thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napol้on!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it can be as complicated OR as difficult as you make it... your best and easiest option to upgrade is to...well do an upgrade (sounds silly)...the easiest way to do this is to boot into windows and insert the xp cd...the setup program will load and a screen will come up giving you some options...one of those should be to upgrade...choose that and it will do some things...then it will restart your computer...remove all of ME..and put xp in it's place...while leaving everything else where it is (programs, documents..etc..)

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok sounds good to me.......Now for a really moronic question: What do you mean by "Boot in to Windows"? How do I do that? Once I am in windows, that's when I insert the XP disc, choose the options, follow the directions, etc right? I'm sorry I sound like an idiot, I can do a lot with a computer but this upgrading stuff is foreign to me. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napol้on!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yep...that's exactly what i meant...get into windows then put the cd in

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok now that I've been a total pain in your neck, I have two last questions. I start my pc and insert the XP disc as soon as I see the windows ME screen, correct? And finally, do you know if the upgrade will affect my internet accesss, as in my cable modem settings? I mean will I have to call the cable company and waste 3 hours of my life waiting for a technician with a martian accent to make some kind of adjustments? After this, I promise to leave you alone :blink: . Thank you so much for your help and patience. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napol้on!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...wait till you're actually logged into windows before you put the disk in... and you should have no issues with the cable modem....but i cannot guarantee that...but you should have no problems with it

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Well thank you VERY much! If I have to camp out waiting on the phone for a cable technician from India or Pakistan, so be it, I'll take that chance (they are great techs, just hard to understand). I've heard from many people that Windows ME is el-stinko as an OS, and most say XP is mucho better. I even have a friend who says he'd rather use the windows 98 OS rather than windows ME. I'm a stubborn person, but I guess it's time for a change. (then I'll have to change to Vista later on......you can't win! :blink: ). Thanks again............ :whistling: