Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgraded and looking for my preffered BIOS

• Please log in to reply

Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I need help with something. I just got done upgrading to an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ and it doesn't have the BIOS I like, which is Award Modular BIOS 6.00PG because of the overclocking supportive CMOS.

Do I need to download a special copy of Award Modular BIOS for this or will any copy work?

The model number for my motherboard is A7V333 and it uses a 462 pin AMD Athlon XP 1800+ and 184 pin memory.

Edit: I forgot the Phoenix was what my cruddy laptop used and accidentily put that. I forgot the name of the BIOS I was looking for and I re-looked it up on my second computer and it was Award Modular 6.00PG, I think.

Edited by Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer, 14 June 2006 - 10:28 AM.

Advertisements

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
And also, I need to know somewhere I can download it without having to sign up for something.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
um...you would be using the BIOS version that comes with your motherboard (has nothing to do with the processor type)...changing the bios to any other type than that used by the motherboard would be a bad idea (if it's even possible) to check on what bios (and if there is a new version of it) your motherboard uses...go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and look for the bios update...they will also have instructions for flashing the bios...

just to make this perfectly clear...if your motherboard comes with pheonix bios...and you try to change that to an award bios...BAD things would happen (if that's even possible)...the BIOS structure is tweaked and configured for each motherboard...there's no "generic" bios

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I made a mistake and poorly edited it. This computer doesn't use Phoenix, I was saying my cruddy laptop used Phoenix. Aparently my computer uses an older version of Award, because it says Award CMOS when I go into setup. Now I just need to update it and it might look like what I'm used to.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in that case...same thing applies....go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and see if there is an update

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can only use the bios your manufacturer uses and has designed for the board, award Bios varies some manufacturers put extra OCing features some remove all OC features. You can only use the BIOS made for that specific motherboard, they arent interchangable in any way.