Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Opening folders

• Please log in to reply

MrFrench

MrFrench

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hello, i recently changed my windows "Folder" icon to a black version. doing so seems to have somehow change the actions that are performed when you double click on them. instead of opening the folder it starts a search within the folder. i have tried to fix it but have had no luck. help plz asd right clicking all the time is getting boring. Thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi MrFrench...

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok".

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, then Directory, and click on shell.
In the right pane, what is the value listed for (Default)?

Then, in the left pane, expand Drive and click on shell. In the right pane, what is the value listed for (Default)?

wannabe1

MrFrench

MrFrench

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
thanks for such a quick reply, the value for directory was "Find" and the value for Drive was "none".
thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok".

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, then Directory, and click on shell.

In the right pane, double click on (Default). Type none in the Value Data field and click "Ok". Close Registry Editor.

Reboot and try opening your folder.

MrFrench

MrFrench

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
cheers mate, that fixed it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts