Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Accessing User Accounts

• Please log in to reply

KimScoop13

KimScoop13

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm using Windows XP Pro (SP 2) and when I try to get to the User Accounts, it won't let me open it.

I've tried going the customary way (Control Panel, User Accounts, single click), I've also tried to double click as well as Right Click, Open. Nothing happens, no matter which way I try. I get an hourglass for maybe 2 seconds and then nothing else.

I've searched the forum, but I don't see anything that applies to this situation. I don't have a clue where to go from here, as I can access User Accounts on all the other computers in the office via this method. This particular machine was being used by someone no longer with the company and I suspect he may have changed a setting somewhere that I just can't find.

Thanks in advance!

:whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
have you tried logging in as the administrator of the cmputer? are these computers networked? (workgroup or domain?)

KimScoop13

KimScoop13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Under the user name that shows up, it indicates that it is the Adminstrator account.

They are all on a workgroup.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
restart the computer...and when you get to the screen where you can select your user account...press ctrl alt del (maybe twice)...a classic login screen should come up...type administrator for the username and then whatever the TRUE administrator password is (it may be blank)...try the user settings again

KimScoop13

KimScoop13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry it took me so long to do this.

OK, I shut down the machine completely, then turned it back on. When I do CTRL-ALT-DEL it says the adminstrator name is "Bob" (which isn't correct) and it will log in with no password. When it logs in, it immediately thinks it is "Chief" (the name that shows up if the comp goes to standby) and it still won't let me access the User Accounts.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
when you pressed ctrl alt del did a window pop up asking for a user name and logon? or was there just the normal screen where you could pick from the icons?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
This maybe a shot in the dark but give it a try

Shut down your computer......Turn it on again

Start tapping f8 key immediately youll be going in safe mode

you should be able to get in that way

then you go to control panel and go to user account and delete the other account if you want

you should be ale to create your own as well

KimScoop13

KimScoop13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Dsenette--yes, I got the 'classic' log on box, not the Windows screen. It had 'Bob' already in the User Name line and password line was blank. No other combinations of user names/passwords would work.

I never thought about starting in safe mode--I will try that as well, thanks!

KimScoop13

KimScoop13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK. I tried going in via safe mode. It DID give me a choice of 2 different user accounts: "Administrator" and "Bucky". I chose Administrator and it finished booting. I then tried to access the User Accounts but it still does nothing when you click it (single click, double click, right click-open).

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what happens if you type

start > run
nusrmgr.cpl
<enter>

KimScoop13

KimScoop13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nothing at all happens when I type that.

Leaving for the weekend--will check back on Monday.

Thanks for the help so far!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please see if that file is present

c:\windows\system32