Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get back into windows XP :( Help!

• Please log in to reply

rocker83

rocker83

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sigh, computer novice...running win xp pro with sp 2 on home built system...Did nothing out of the ordinary, restarted the computer then boom: tells me that \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt or yada yada yada...So I throw in the winxp install cd...hit the R for recovery and repair, it asks me which windows to repair(there is only 1) so I hit 1
boom
blue screen of death
page_fault in nonpaged_area
then lists a whole bunch of bs lines on contacting manufacturer, going into safe mood to fix things
then
"technical information
***:stop 0x00000050(0x90E18bce,0x00000001 0x809904F2,0x00000000)
whoo hoo
bs
I can't restart in safe mode...the missing system 32config file that is corrupt or missing won't allow it...
my "computer engineer" of a friend tells me Im [bleep]ed..I have a virus, all is lost, my harddrive...is corrupt... :blink:
thats swell and all but Id like to think I have some way of saving my 80 gigs of info on my hd
any help greatly appreciated :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi rocker83...

Boot into Recovery Console (press R when the option is presented...we do not want to run the repair installtion) using your XP installation cd and type in the following items seperately at the command prompt, pressing "Enter" after each one.
  • chkdsk /p /r <-- This will take awhile so be patient
  • fixboot
  • bootcfg /rebuild
If you complete these and see no improvement, get back to Recovery Console, type fixmbr at the prompt and press "Enter". Use this command only if the earlier commands do not produce the desired result.

wannabe1

rocker83

rocker83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hmmm I understand what you want me to do, but I am unsure as to where I am able to type these commands in...
I boot from the cd
I see the blue screen with the options to run setup, repair and recover, or exit setup
I type in R...
wait...
brings me to a screen that asks me to enter in the numerical choice for what windows I would like to repair
(in this case there is only 1 displayed) so I type 1(I cannot type any more than one space)
hit enter...
boom I get the blue screen with the page_fault in nonpaged_area I described before...
any further help, again greatly appreciated

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have floppy drives on both the machine you are using now and the one you're working on?

rocker83

rocker83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
um right now Im on a dinky integrated dell system that doesn't have a floppy
the computer with a problem does have a floppy disk....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
At the very first options screen when you boot with the cd, do you get the option: "To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R."?

rocker83

rocker83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yeah...it says press any key to boot from cd, I do
blue screen pops up
for a while
then it takes me to the main screen for
setup
R for recovery
or exit the setup

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you power on the machine, enter BIOS setup (usually by tapping F1 or Delete during the bootup) and set the BIOS to it's default settings. This may be a simple as pressing F5 and then saving the setting (F10), but have a look around to make sure. Once the setting has been saved, see if it will boot to windows or Recovery Console.

rocker83

rocker83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Okay Im gonna try that
it will take me like 15-20 minutes because I have to switch over monitor and key board and mice...
just to make sure...
I had fooled around with some bios settings before
two specifically
"fail safe bios"
and "optomized bios"
are they the same as the default bios?
because they didn't do anything

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Fail Safe would be the one I was after... :whistling:

This may also be a video driver issue...it's really hard to tell with this error. Do you have onboard video, and add on card, or both?

Advertisements

rocker83

rocker83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a rosewill 128 meg nvidia chipset video card
no integrated graphics just lan and onboard sound, I also have a creative sound blaster card but I use the board for sound...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...boot back to the cd. At the first blue screen, choose the option to for Setup (press "Enter". Accept the License Agreement (press F8) on the next screen, on the third screen, select your operating system and press "R".

This will look like it's reinstalling XP, but it will repair the current installation. Let me know if you can start this without the machine crashing.

rocker83

rocker83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
ok will do
be back
thanks again

rocker83

rocker83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ugh, le sigh...
after a break and some taco salad
nothing
put on the fail safe bios just to be sure
nada...boots from the cd
get to screen for set up
press R for repair
asks me which windows Id like to repair(only one again) I press 1
boom I get the ever popular
page_fault in nonpaged_area
this is so insane I always get the strangest computer problems, if your still there wannabe1 Id greatly appreciate some more help, thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Press "Enter" in the first screen...then F8...then R