Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get back into windows XP :( Help!

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
See if Taking Ownership of the folder helps.

Advertisements

rocker83

rocker83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
should files that I don't have access to indicate there is nothing in the folder? because the folder I have says its empty, but I still can't get into it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Check your HDD's properties. Do you have about the same amount of used space?

rocker83

rocker83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hmmm no...both are 80 gigs
the main hd has 65 gigs free
while the slave drive from my computer has only about 14 gigs left with 60 consumed

rocker83

rocker83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
First things first I want to thank everyone for helping me get this far...this process is soo long...and every time I think Im moving forward I get snagged...

Ok if you are familiar with my situation this is where I am at...basically I moved my hard drive into this computer and I am treating it as a slave...
Now to get my personal documents from this hard drive...I need to take ownership of it...
its more complicated than I thought
Since I am running xp home on this computer I must do this through safemode
I successfully tagged a very large folder(with about 40 subfolders in it with about 20,000 pics) and moved it onto this harddrive, but I can't seem to do this with all the rest...
so my question is...how do I transfer ownership of an entire folder(and all the documents and sub folders within) so I can view all the documents and move them to a space on the new harddrive
The tutorial that wannabe1 gave me helps but its a little confusing...especially when you don't have it in front of you...
thanks again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is a trimmed down version
which you could print off to work on the other PC with

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP?

When you access a file or a folder in your system, you may receive an error "Access Denied", which indicates that you don't have permissions to access that folder or the file. The error is seen is after you reinstall Windows XP and try to access your old profile. If you are an Administrator (or Administrator-level User account) and want to access the contents of the folder, you can take ownership of the folder or file.

You must be logged on to the computer with an account which has administrative privileges.

If you use XP Home Edition, start the computer in safe mode and log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

For XP Professional, you need to disable Simple File Sharing in order to see the Security tab.

To disable simple file sharing:

Click Start, click My Computer.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, click the View tab.

In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box. Click OK.

To take ownership of a folder:

Right click the folder you want to take ownership of, then click properties.

Click the Security tab and click OK on the security message, (if one appears).

Click Advanced, click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.

Click OK, then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

where folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

Click OK then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

To take ownership of a file:

Right click the file you want to take ownership of, then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

Click Advanced, click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file.