Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Server 2003

• Please log in to reply

futures

futures

• Pip
  • 2 posts
We were hacked into a couple of weeks ago. It had to do with a DMZ being open. That part of it is now fixed, but I am unable to log into the server. There ust be some setting that was affected because what I end up typong on the keyboard is compelety different on the screen. It is almost like it is encrypted somehow. For instance my m is a ?, z is an a, etc.

Does anyone have any idea on where to look to determine where this could be coming from?

Advertisements

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Check your regional/language options, make sure you're not set up to use an alternate kb layout or an alternate language. Failing that, it's always been my philosophy that once a box gets hacked, the only way to be absolutely sure it's clean is to reinstall the OS. Just my opinion, o'course.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm gonna aggree with that last statement...if i know for a fact someone from outside was in my server....i'd format and reinstall....and be very wary of my backup tape (unless i knew exactly when they got in)

futures

futures

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did check the regional/language settings and it is all set to English-US. Whoever it was was using us for an internet connection. They were continuously pinging out to find another place. We were kind of being used as the middle man to search fro something else. Anyway, I did go through all of the user profiles yesterday and found one that I did not recognize. I deleted it and today everything seems to be going O.K.

Thanks for the posts.

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
If they were constantly pinging out, it might be worth looking into whether your server was a participant in a Denial of Service attack. Reason being, if your attacker was utilizing your server as a tool to flood someone with packets/ICMP pings, you could end up being blamed/blacklisted/talked about behind your back.

Just a suggestion :whistling: Glad to hear you got your server working again.