Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant see drives in "my computer"

• Please log in to reply

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have only been running in safe mode.. am trying to run it in normal mode now.

It has crashed about 6 times now in safe mode.
BTW, I managed to get the emails.. and copied them to the external HD .. before the system crashed.

it has just booted up in normal mode.. and crashed immediately

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the installation cd?

Now would be the time to try System Restore from Safe Mode.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi wannabe
cant seem to run it in normal mode.. the pc freezes almost imediately windows load.. and it takes a long time to load

what next?

Thanks for being patient

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes I have the installaation cd..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try the System Restore from Safe Mode.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
can you walk me through it please

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok.. managed to do it.. set date as 1st June

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot into Safe Mode.

Click Start, point to All Programs, then to Accessories, then to System Tools, and click on System Restore. Select "Restore your computer to an earlier time" and click "Next"...In the left pane, select a bold date to restore to (prior to the problem starting), and click "Next". The restore process should begin.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Wannabe..
the pc wont boot in normal mode.. nothing loads up.. and it crashes immediately.
Guess you must be tired of trying to figure this out.
Regarding a clean install. If there is a problem with the hard drive.. ( the pc is now 3 years old).. I am going to have problems with it in the very near future. Would it not be better for me to buy a new pc.. with good specs that should last me a few years... rather than going thru this rigmarole.
You have been really most helpful.. and may I say your knowledge is awesome.
I have managed to get all the pics and documents that i needed onto the external HD.. I have now got the emails from outlook on the HD ( I hope I have anyway)..am grateful for your help in accomplishing this.
The programs I have installed.. I can reinstall on the new pc.. as I have all the installation disks..
What would you suggest as a spec for a new pc... I dont play games, or download music, videos, etc.
I use it mainly for my company accounts, and a database for the jobs for field engineers.I can reinstall that program) andd i have backed up my data for that regularly on a 2GB flash drive ( as with the accounts program).
But I would like a kind of state of the art pc.. lol

Please let me have your suggestion

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm not completely convinced that the HDD is the problem. I'm leaning more towards a corrupt driver.

See if you can do this...make sure you have your product key handy:

Boot with the installation cd in the drive. Follow this GUIDE to "Delete the partition", "Create a new partition and make it active", "Format" (NTFS full format...not the quick option), and install Windows XP. Once it's running, go to Device Manager as see if you have any yellow ? or ! and list them for me if you find any. Don't install anything else for a bit.

As for specs for a new machine...gimme a bit and I'll throw together MY recommended minimums (as opposed to Microsoft's). You might also pose the question to the folks in the System Building forum...I'm sure you'd get some good feedback there.

Advertisements

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok.. shall try and do as you suggest..

and i would be happy to see your reccommneded minimums for a new pc.
( I would keep this pc anyway.. and use it to play around with.. and learn, learn...)

PS.. the pc is running in normal mode and has not crashed in the last half hour ( must have heard that i was going to scrap it..lol)

I have even managed to get all my accounts program and the data base on the external drive without it freezing up

Thanks so much

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi wannabe
I havent got back to you.. I had to do some preparation for a meeting for tomorrow.
I shall attempt the clean install tomorrow and shall let you know how I get on.
the only disk i cannot find is the Microsoft office disk.. although I have my key.. which I made a note of.
would that create a problem, or will I have to buy another disk.
btw.. the pc has not frozen in the last 2 hours!!. ( i have been using it for data for the meetring tomorrow..and no freezes. Things looking up?

In any case, I await your reccommended specs. I shall definitely go down that road..
May I have your permission to send you a pm?
please let me know
Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, you may PM me.

Let it run. You are now running without a lot things started up (Selective Startup). If it runs ok this way, we'll find out which of the drivers or services is causing the problem.

I'll post you some specs later this evening.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi wannabe
Have let it run all day.. and no crashes..
I have been able to work on some important accounts stuff this evening.. and am delighted... just wondering when/if it will crash in the middle of doing something.
I want to buy a new computer, so I can transfer the main company programs/data to the new one. Shall have an easy mindset then.
As I said.. the problem pc.. I shall use to learn more about computers.
I await your reccommended specs.

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if we can find the guilty party.

Click Start, then Run, and select msconfig from the dropdown menu...click "Ok". Under the "General" tab, select the box next to "Load Startup Items". Reboot...your machine will probably revert to it's old ways.

Once restarted, go back to msconfig and click on the "Startup" tab. Scroll to the bottom of the list and uncheck the first five with checks in them. Click "Apply" then "Ok" and Reboot. Ignore the Selective Startup dialog box for now (click "Ok"). If the machine still crashes, go back to msconfig, check the five that you previously unchecked, and uncheck the next five in the list. Reboot.

Repeat this until the machine stops crashing. The culprit will be one of the five that are not selected. Select ONE of those five, Apply the change and reboot. When the machine crashes, the last one you checked is the dirty party...uncheck that one, check any that remain unselected, and reboot.

If you find the one that's causing this, list it here for me.