Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant see drives in "my computer"

• Please log in to reply

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi wannabe

I shall attempt your "reductio ad absurdum" method.. sounds good to me..shall let you know

Thanks

Advertisements

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi Wannabe
Tried what you suggested. uncheked the last five items and rebooted. Windows started and crashed immediately. Had to get into safe mode to check and uncheck next 5 items on the list. Windows started in normal mode and crashed immediately. I dont think there is any way to keep doing this if windows crashes immediately.I feel that the problem is with the norton systemworks 2006 that I installed.
To start with windows did not start and i had to disable norton goback( as per norton instructions). and since then problems and crashes.
I only have a few items in the startuplist
Ghost Tray
Log1_MWX
ccApp
Sprite Service
msmsgs
WCESCOMM
spysweeper
itouch
zlclient
Norton Goback
Side ACT!

of these, I am sure I have uninstalled spysweeper, Sprite Services is the program I use for baking up my PDA, and sideACT is a CRM program that I have been using for some time.

So, I reckon the problem must be with Symantes systemworks. I think Ghost Tray, ccApp, WCESCOMM, zlclient, Norton GoBack

Should these be removed... What do you suggest.
I shall restart in safe mode, and uncheck all the norton type items and reboot and see if it runs without crashing

Please advise
Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just uninstall the Norton System Works completely. Go to Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel, uninstall the main application first, then Live Update and Live Reg. Uninstalling Norton can sometimes be troublesome...if you run into any problems, let me know. If that resolves the problem, download Avast!, install it and update it. Try running with that for a while.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi wannabe
Tried to uninstall norton as suggested. The pc crashed in the middle of uninstalling systemworks.
Windows wont normally.. crashes immediately.
Even in safe mode it crashes 5 times out of six!
what next? .. hands up time and try and reinstall windows?.. or delegate pc to the scrap heap.. lol

The ride so far has been worth it...

Please let me know..

Cheers

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi wannabe

Update...
After several reboots.. managed to uninstall most of norton systemworks. The only problem i cannot seem to uninstall is Ghost10.0. It asks for the norton systemworks disk.. anfd when i insert it.. asks to look for .msi files.. I cannot search for them as pc crashes.Have uninstalled live update ..
I got on to symantec site for the SumNRT download tool.. could not do it with that.
Have also downloaded the manual removal tool.. but it wont remove Ghost.

Have installed avast as you suggested.

Still running it with selective startup!

will try and run msconfig for finding the "guilty party" .. later tonite... if you think that I should persevere with that
Thanks/ regards

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try using This Procedure to remove the Norton from the machine and tune up the installer. I think it's probably Ghost that's causing the problems.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi wannabe
Tried that..
still asks for the norton Disk.. I insert disk.. but it does nothing apart from giving me an error.. or asking for the .msi file... which I cannot find.
fyi.. clicked on My Computer.. got the searchlight again.... let it run.. and after 7 minutes.. all the drives came up in the pane. Clicked the c drive.. all the files/folders showed up. could open themn up no problem,.. however when i click the back button.. the pane goes blank.. back comes the searchlight again!!

Really wonder what the problem is?

I can live with the ghost10 on the computer. still have no items loaded for startup
and windows has not crashed all day.. can run the programs i need..
any suggestions to try out? or should I just learn to live with it... buy a new pc and get it networked with this computer... a fresh start

please advise
Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you run all the programs from the page I linked to?

Make sure the following are disabled in msconfig/startup:
  • Ghost Tray
  • ccApp
  • Norton Goback
Reboot and see if the drives show up any quicker.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Wannabe

the symnrt file aborts as it asks for the disk and then askes for the .msi files. When i go to search for the files.. the pc freezes... i did not run the SYMMSIcleanup.reg

nothing is enabled in msconfig/startup.
and the drives take about 7/8 minutes of searching to show up in the pane..
regards

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Run the msicleanup script, too. That may clear that error.

Advertisements

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok.. ran that file....
pc took about 10 minutes to reboot.

btw.. I had a look at the "services" tab.. i note that there is something called Symantec core LC.. status shows .. running..
should that be there or does it not matter.
I am still running withouit any items in startup enabled except for the avast.

any ideas?

thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd like a peek at what's running on startup. Download, install, and run HiJackThis. Sav a log to the desktop. Right click on the saved log and choose rename. Name the file tej.txt and click outside the name box to set the change. Attach that file to your next reply.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi wannabe

took a long time..to get the log
Have to copy and paste it..

Edit: HJT log attached.

Please advise
Thanks

Attached Files

Powerslave

Powerslave

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
if you havent already fixed the problem yet 'Tej', then I suggest you try these given options..

1. Go under 'Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup', and try running the process after that and do every option that is available there.

2. Go under 'Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter, and try running the process after that and do every option that is available there.

3. Download 'Spybot Search & Destroy' and 'Ad-Aware' by googleing the 2 programs and then scan your computer with both of those programs.

4. Download 'AVG Anti Virus' by googleing it and then scan your computer with the program.

5. Go into 'My Computer' and then 'right-click' your 'Local Drive' and go under 'Tools', then do the 'Error-Checking' and follow the process through that.

6. If all fails and you cannot find help elsewhere, then backup everything you have on your computer and 'Reformat'.

Goodluck with your problem 'Tej'.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Powerslave.. thanks for your concern.
However have followed wannabe's instructions so far.. and shall stick with that for the moment.
I do notice that you use this "canned speech" in quite a few of your posts... is that a cure all?
Regards