Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant see drives in "my computer"

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Control Panel. Double-click "Administrative Tools", then double-click "Component Services"...click "Services".

In the "Services (Local)" list, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA), and then click Stop.

See if the drives are found faster...

Advertisements

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
hi wannabe

the searchlight is still going.. more than 10 minutes now.. and drives not found
did the HJT come up with anything?
Regards

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not really... :whistling:

Do you have an HP scanjet scanner hooked up by chance?

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
yes I have

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
do you want me to disconnect it? from the computer?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes.. disconnect it and reboot. Then open My Computer and see if things show up quicker.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
wannabe
yes.. seems searchlight gone!!.. however the drives show up as follows
local diak c, 3/12" floppy, mobile device( this is unconnected) and folders showing shared documents, and folder showing my documents. The cd rom drive is not there.

the drives show up in my computer immediately.

I am still running in selective startup with all startup items unchecked.

thanks/regards

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go back to a Normal Startup now and see what happens. Do the optical drives show up in after a normal startup?

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Wannabe
Normal startup.. took more than 15 minutes to boot up
got the following messages on startup
1. 00002968.exe.. The application failed to start because sharenui.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem
2, windows cannot open this file,, 00002651.rbf .. to open thisfile.. file type unknown etc..
3. My computer shows drives immediately.. same drives as mentioned in my last post. The cd/dvd drives do not show up
4, The norton icon still comes up in system tray.. and shows up message that 2 critical items need attention!!
I thought I had uninstalled Norton systemworks. I noted that Ghost tray and go back still showed up in the startup tab.

what next please

thanks and regards

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you uninstall some stuff while running in selective startup?

For the Norton, run through the steps HERE again.

For the optical drive, let's check a registry setting. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

Advertisements

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Wannabe
I did uninstall Norton in safe mode.( or I thought I had uninstalled it)
Should I run through the norton manual removal tool in normal windows again?

upper Filters and lower filters are listed

Lowerfilters.. type REG_Multi_SZ,, data.. MxLW2K
Upperfilters.. type Reg_Multi_SZ... data.. GEArAspiWDM

I have installed Keiro firewall on that machine.

Thanks/regards

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go back into Registry Editor and return to and right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Choose "Export" from the menu and save this key to your desktop as filtersbu. Once this has been accomplished, right click on LowerFilters and choose "Delete"...do the same for HighFilters.

Open "My Computer"...are the optical drives there now?

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Wannabe
The drives show up now.. the cd-rwdrive(E)
Thanks
The pc time to boot up has also reduced.. 2 minutes.
What do I do about Norton.. the nessages come on with reboot. should I attempt to do the manual uninstall in normal mode?
Seems Norton protection Centre is running as it now shows Status: good!
I know I have just purchased the Norton Systemworks 2006 premier.. but if its going to cause me problems, I rather not even think about reinstalling it.. and would rather forego the money spent.
Please advise
Thanks/regards

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...now we're getting there. :whistling:

Go ahead and do the manual removal of Norton...even if it's to be reinstalled, you'll have to do that or you won't get a good install. Norton is a very tightly integrated application and is awfully hard on system resources. Other than those drawbacks, it's not that bad a program. I generally steer folks towards other applications when possible, but this will be your call. The NOD32 is a far better application...IMHO.

Once you have the Norton removed and have rebooted, uninstall the scanner in Device Manager, the scanner software through "Add or Remove Programs", and reboot.

Then run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter from System Tools. This will help tidy up the HDD a bit and give us a better idea of where we stand for stability and speed.

Let me know how things are doing once completing these steps.

You feeling "geeky" yet? :blink:

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
wannabe
I shall do the uninstall as suggested. Have decided not to install the norton Systemworks.
Shall get the NOD 32, for both machines. ( I shall have to uninstall the avast from the problem machine( hopefully ex problem machine).. and the kaspersky from this one.
Shall also install the keiro firewall on this one .. they have a special price for 2 licences).
Shall also do the steps as suggested ..tomorrow.. and shall post back.
... and yes.. am beginning to feel "geeky novice"!!!
Thanks for all your help..

Good night.and thanks once again
Regards