Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant see drives in "my computer"

• Please log in to reply

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Wannabe
Did all that you suggested..
I could not find the scanner in device manager..( maybe looking in the wrong place) but removed the programs ( anything to do with HP).
In printers and faxes.. there is an old printer showing up.. HP deskjet which i had disconnected ages ago.
The pc booted up within 10 secs...
I did the disk cleanup and for the defrag.. after the analyse.. windows came up with defrag not needed at this time.so did not defrag.
However.. seems i have another problem.
I decided to do a sweep with spysweeper.
the pc froze.. and noted that it froze at the following
c:\windows\system32\paradise.raw.exe
What is that?.. where did that come from?
I powered off. and tried to reboot.
windows loaded.. and pc crashed after all the icons came up ( the message re 00002968.exefailed to start because sharernui.dll was not found also came up)
Have tried to reboot pc.since... but windows wont load ..crashes immediately

I thought we had the problem solved!!!.. after so much hard work and patience on your part.
Please advise

Thanks and regards

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key during bootup? The file you mention (paradise.raw.exe) is usually associated with a virus (backdoor trojan). Let me know if you are able to boot to Safe Mode.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi wannabe

Have just booted in safe mode,
what next..
thanks/regards

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Run a System Restore to the most recent restore point prior the crash... Does this get the machine booting into Windows normally?

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
wannabe
Tried to do system restore.. pc crashed immediately.
since then it wont boot in safe mode or normal mode.. crashes immediately

regards

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I lost track...do you have an XP installation cd?

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yes I have the cd

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if there is a repair operation available.

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

If you are not offered the option of repairing the system, let me know and we'll look at replacing the registry hive.

Tej

Tej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Wannabe
I tried several times to boot into safe mode.. and couldnt. I did manage to get there without pc freezing.. tried to restore at several checkpoints.. but system restore would not accept.

Have tried now to boot in normal mode..windows booted normally and pc has not crashed.. in the past 15 minutes!! and seems to be running normally!!.
perhaps you may have an explanation for these strange happenings!
what should I do to find out about the paradise.raw.exe?

Thanks and regards

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Set a restore point... :whistling:

This sudden "repair" was more than likely initiated by a well known Windows process known as FM (Freakin Magic)...I have no explanation for it's successful execution. :blink:

For the questionable file, trying running all the applications on this page of the Malware Forum. If that doesn't rid the machine of the files, I'll see if I can get one of the malware experts to look at a log real quick.

Advertisements