Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Cables

• Please log in to reply

purky

purky

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have just ordered a camcorder but now find that it does not come with a USB cable,
also ordred an Epson 340R printer which also will ship without a USB cable.
I have USB2 on my computer and also 3 spare USB cable that came with other add ons.
Is there any way to know if these (possible) USB 1 cables will work with USB 2 peripherals
or any way to identify whether the cables I have are USB 1 or 2 ?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Purky

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
USB2.0 is susceptible to interference, and USB2.0 compliant cables have ferrite shielding to prevent the effects of such interference. It should still work on USB1.1 cables but may incur this interference which could cause errors. The bottom line is: try it. In my reading on the subject there seem to be differing opinions. However if you want absolute peace of mind then a USB2.0 compliant cable will not cost you an arm and a leg.

In terms of telling them apart: you can't really do that unless it says USB 2.0 on there somewhere, as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps

Digikiwi

purky

purky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Digikiwi,

Thanks for reply.
I expect to have the printer by the 20th and will check out using the cables I
presently have - seems like I most likely acquired them within the past two years
in which case I would expect them to be USB2 compliant. For the camera I will use firwwire.

B regards,

Putrky