Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VIRTUAL MEMORY

• Please log in to reply

tiffin

tiffin

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
hey wannabe or whoever it says i have virtual memory to low i have windows NT how do i fix that also i have 2 drives and everything downloads to the c drive but i wnat it to download to the d drive how do i change that

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tiffin...

Let's see if I have this right...your post is a little difficult to understand.

First, your machine is telling you that your Virtual Memory is low? Click Start and then click Control Panel. Double click on the "System" icon. Under the "General" tab, how much RAM does it say you have?

Click on the "Advanced" tab and then click the "Settings" button in the Perfomance section. In the next window, click on the "Advanced" tab, and then click the "Change" button. If the button next to "System Managed size" isn't ticked, select it and click "Ok". "Apply" the changes if you make any.

Now for issue two. By downloading, do you mean when you download something from the internet it goes to the C: and you want it to go to the D:? Or are you talking about installing programs and wanteng them to install to D:?

wannabe1

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
it says i have 63,724 kb of ram i know its nothing but still its just a little computer but thats what it is

there is no system managed size there it says my initial size is 92 and max is 192 mb

as for problem 2 i haVe a drive partitioned into 2 and when i download something for example msn it will go into drive c which is my smaller drive i want it so that when i download it goes to my d drive (the second part of my harddrive)

hope this helps and thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...with that little memory, about all you can do is set the Virtual Memory to Max as it is, but we will move it to the D: partition...that will help a little. To do this, and I hope I'm right...I don't have a Win2000 machine here right now, Click "Start" and then click "Control Panel". Click on the "Advanced" tab and then click the "Settings" button in the Perfomance section. In the next window, click on the "Advanced" tab, and then click the "Change" button. Select the D: partition in the box at the top and click the "Set" button. This will put the paging file on the D: and free up a little space on the C: drive. Plus, the paging will be faster this way.

What browser are you using to download with? Open the D: and right click in a clear area. Point to "New" and choose "Folder". Type downloads for the folder name and click in a clear area to set the name. Let me know which browsers you use and I'll help you point them to this folder for downloading.

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
internet browsers im using firefox

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Firefox, click on "Tools" on the toolbar, and choose "Options". In the window that opens, click the "Downloads" icon at the top. Tick the button next to "Save all downloads to this folder" if it isn't already ticked. Then use the browse button to go to the folder you created in the D: drive (downloads). Apply the change and exit Options.

Now everything you download should go right to that folder.

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok i have my folder named download and i changed the d partition to what the c was which was 96 mb and max 192 mb then i set it

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
oh ok thx for that i appreciate this a bunch :whistling: so will my computer be really slow ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Was it really slow before? This should actually help with the speed a little, though not much.

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok so now for example if i download msn and it goes to d drive now can i use msn because i thought it was set for the c drive so will it recognize that its (msn) on the computer

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's what I was afraid of...you're talking about installing programs, aren't you?

You can install the application files to any directory you wish. Create a new folder on the D: drive and name it Program Files. During an installation you should get a dialog window that will ask what directory you want to install to and will display the default location. When you see this window, browse to the new folder and select it. The new location should display as D:\Program Files. Applications will still have to use the registry in C:, but the bulk of the program will be on D:.

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok thx a bunch wannabe :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're very welcome, tiffin... :whistling: