Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

adambcohen

adambcohen

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am in a bind on this one. I have a wd 20g hard drive and it is not spinning. I put it into a external case and plugged it into my laptop via usb. Everything came up the way it should, but when I went to my computer it was not listed. Then I went to control panel to management and tried to find it that way. No such luck. However, I can see it in device manager under disk drive. That is about it. Oh, when I try to populate in properties for disk drive it tells me that it is unreadable. There has to be a way to do this. Any help that one can give would be great.
Thanks in advance
Adam Cohen

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi adambcohen...

If the drive isn't spinning, there's not much you can do with it. All your machine is seeing of this drive is the ID chip on the drive's circuit board.

If I misunderstood your post, please let me know.

wannabe1

adambcohen

adambcohen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you....That is what I thought. Just out of curiosity, when I connect to the motherboard and check in the bios is it the same principle. That it is showing the ID chip. If that is the case then everything on the hdd is gone correct.
Adam Cohen

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, the motherboard, and all other devices, contain a chip which will identify it to the machine.

The data on the drive is probably still intact, but to recover it would be a pretty spendy proposition.

adambcohen

adambcohen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
What would you recomend doing at this point. I read that if you put it in the frig that it might work one more time. Have you ever heard that. Or is this a waist of time
Adam

adambcohen

adambcohen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
What would you recomend doing at this point. I read that if you put it in the frig that it might work one more time. Have you ever heard that. Or is this a waist of time
Adam

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
yeah...I've heard of it. I've even tried it, but it has never worked for me. Usually, when a drive won't spin up, it's gone. Might as well give it a try, though...ya never know.