Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows cannot boot...vgaoem.fon

• Please log in to reply

Littleguimo77

Littleguimo77

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I cannot start Windows and am getting very frusterated. When I start my computer, before the Windows splash screen even loads, I recieve an error that says:

Windows could not start. The following file is missing or corrupted \windows\system\vgaoem.fon.

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I went to the Microsoft support page and followed their instructions (these instructions) but they didn't work. Everytime I type expand e:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ c:\windows\system, I recieve the following message: The system cannot find the file or directory specified.

I've searched the web and have found various "solutions" but haven't had much luck. Can someone walk me step-by-step and help me get through this problem?

Advertisements

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
What happens if you open a command prompt and enter the expand command with no arguments?

Can you navigate to e:\i386\ and verify that vgaoem.fo_ is present?

Littleguimo77

Littleguimo77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I can't even log onto Windows. I press the power button on the computer, the BIOS (or whatever the first that loads is called) loads up and then I get the black that has that message. I am not able to log on or navigate to the command prompt.

The only sort of "command prompt" that I can think of is the recovery console. Is that what you are talking about?

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I'm sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough. I understand now, but I also don't know what you'd need to do to fix it. :/ sorry.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If you have an XP CD, try these suggestions. If not, try to borrow one.

Put your XP CD into your CD drive and boot from it. When you are given the option, start the Recovery Console. When you get to the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter" This is a long check...be patient.

If that does not work, try a Windows XP repair. You will need the XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates and possibly your video card driver.

Microsoft Update

Littleguimo77

Littleguimo77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Put your XP CD into your CD drive and boot from it. When you are given the option, start the Recovery Console. When you get to the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter" This is a long check...be patient.

What do I do after that? It gets to 26% and then it says "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

If that does not work, try a Windows XP repair. You will need the XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

I've tried doing that, but I don't have the option to repair my current Windows installation.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

It gets to 26% and then it says "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

That's not good at all. :whistling: We may be looking at a failed hard drive. Hopefully it isn't that far yet, but is sure sounds like it.

I've tried doing that, but I don't have the option to repair my current Windows installation.

This means you have the wrong CD. For example, let's say you have XP Home edition, this indicates you are using an XP Professional CD when you are trying to do the repair.

Find the matching CD for your XP version and the repair will be available. Make sure this is a true XP CD, not a Recovery CD that came with the computer. If it works, the repair will allow you to save your data. And then if I were you, I'd replace the drive.

If it doesn't work, try putting the drive as a slave into another computer to recover your data.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 19 June 2006 - 08:27 PM.

Littleguimo77

Littleguimo77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

This means you have the wrong CD. For example, let's say you have XP Home edition, this indicates you are using an XP Professional CD when you are trying to do the repair.

The only Windows XP Home CD that I have is this one: http://client.attenz.../XP_HOME_CD.gif

The OS came preinstalled when we bought the computer and I haven't upgraded versions of Windows or anything like that. We bought the computer with Windows XP Home and it still uses Windows XP Home. I do have a small CD booklet that came with the computer with all of the Microsoft Office XP stuff in it, but nothing that has to do with Windows itself.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
hmm...that's strange. That particular CD should allow the repair. Weird. Make sure you followed the directions at the link I gave you step by step. And watch the pictures, since that is exactly how it should be looking for you. Give it one more try to be sure.

If still not, you'll have to find another computer to put your hard drive into. That will be your only shot. And even then, the hard drive may not work...

Littleguimo77

Littleguimo77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The only thing that I'm not sure about is this part of the intructions:

Note: RAID/SCSI/Unsupported UDMA users:
You will be prompted to "press F6 to install any third party SCSI or RAID drivers". Most users will not have to press F6, but if you are running RAID, SCSI or unsupported UDMA controllers, then you will have to have your controller drivers on a floppy disk. If you are unsure whether you have RAID/SCSI, then simply let the CD load without pressing F6.

I don't know what a third party SCSI or RAID driver is and I'm assuming I've never touched one, but if somehow I do have a third party SCSI or RAID driver, would that make a difference in whether or not the repair option shows up?

If not, then I'm going to give Microsoft Tech Support a call this weekend and consider that my last hope. After that, I'm gonna have to resort to a slave drive (not even sure how that works) and see how much of my data I can save.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I seriously doubt you have SCSI or RAID. Unless you got a geek to build the computer for you, or if you got it from a business. But store bought, highly unlikely.

If you did have SCSI or RAID, and you did not have the correct drivers, it would not detect the hard drive at all. You would not be able to do anything at all, including repair.

All I have to say about MS tech support is have fun :blink:

I'm gonna have to resort to a slave drive (not even sure how that works) and see how much of my data I can save.

We're here for ya. Ask anything you need. I can walk you through it, or if I don't explain it well enough, I can find someone who does. We'll do everything we can to help you. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 19 June 2006 - 09:04 PM.

Littleguimo77

Littleguimo77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
At this point, I'm willing to put up with MS Tech Support...

And thanks for all of the help, I really appreciate it.

Quick question, could you list/explain the ways I can salvage my data? My brother's friend has a 250 GB external hard drive so I can probably get my hands on that for a day to store my data during the downtime. What else can I do? I have the broken computer hooked up to a working computer using our home network, can that be used? Is there anyway I can transfer data between computers using a CAT5 cable or something like that?

Edited by Littleguimo77, 19 June 2006 - 09:09 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
One way you could do it without removing your hard drive is by creating one of the Ultimate Boot CDs for Windows found at this site:

http://www.ubcd4win.com

It is basically a Windows OS that runs on a CD. If the hard drive is in good enough condition to recover, you could use that. But it is probably more complicated to walk you through that than it is to take the hard drive out. :whistling: But if you want to...

Only other way is by putting it in a working computer, or puting a working hard drive in yours as primary. Or...actually, you can buy a USB external hard drive adaptor. Basically turn your internal hard drive into an external one. That's another option. But I think it would be better to stay away from spending money. Things aren't looking too good for your hard drive right now, according to that message you got from Chkdsk.

I have the broken computer hooked up to a working computer using our home network, can that be used?

Only if you create an Ultimate Boot CD for Windows or if you put a hard drive from someone's computer that works. Other than that, no.

there anyway I can transfer data between computers using a CAT5 cable or something like that?

Need a working operating system to do that. So once again, only with an Ultimate Boot CD for Windows or a working hard drive with an operating system. Other than that, no.

Littleguimo77

Littleguimo77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Wow, I don't even wanna try that Ultimate Boot Disk thing. It seems way to complicated and I always have bad luck with small problems.

So that basically narrows it down taking my hard drive out and/or using an external hard drive. Can you explain how that works? Do I just transfer all of my important data to an external hard drive and then reinstall Windows on the non-working hard drive? Will my hard drive even work if I reinstall Windows since you figure my hard drive is failing? Will a complete reinstall fix my hard drive issues or should I just transfer my data, forget about the hard drive, and buy a new hard drive for the computer?

AAARRRRGGG I'm getting PO'd

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Do I just transfer all of my important data to an external hard drive and then reinstall Windows on the non-working hard drive?

no. What I said was you take your broken internal hard drive and use an adaptor to turn it into a external hard drive. This saves you the trouble of opening someone else's computer, but costs money. And we don't even know if your hard drive is healthy enought to recover anything at all...

Will my hard drive even work if I reinstall Windows since you figure my hard drive is failing?

It may work for a short while, long enough to recover data (which is why I suggested a repair), but it will almost certainly fail again. I recommend trashing it once you get your data, if that is possible.

Will a complete reinstall fix my hard drive issues or should I just transfer my data, forget about the hard drive, and buy a new hard drive for the computer?

Yes, exactly. Why walk on thin ice? Get a new one once you get your data, once again, if it is still possible. It may be damaged beyond recovery...