Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows cannot boot...vgaoem.fon

• Please log in to reply

Littleguimo77

Littleguimo77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, I'm happy. I managed to retrieve quite a few files from my hard drive, although I recieved an error message on a few. Of the two error messages I got, this one was the most prominent:
Cannot copy <file name>: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
and another one I got, but rarely was: Cannot copy <[/i]file name[i]>: Invalid MS-DOS function.

If you have solutions for these errors, that would help.

Edited by Littleguimo77, 11 July 2006 - 06:20 PM.

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Well, I'm happy. I managed to retrieve quite a few files from my hard drive, although I recieved an error message on a few. Of the two error messages I got, this one was the most prominent:
Cannot copy <file name>: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
and another one I got, but rarely was: Cannot copy <[/i]file name[i]>: Invalid MS-DOS function.

If you have solutions for these errors, that would help.

Fabulous, the world is reasonably perfect then :whistling: , if that isn't a contradiction in terms.

Regarding your CRC error, you could try this application. It won't fix those errors but allow you to copy the files regardless. Sometimes you can still recover the file, or most of it depending on what it is. However I haven't used it myself. I did download and check for malware and virus though and it didn't set off any alarm bells.

What kind of files (I.e. file extensions) were giving you each type of error?

Littleguimo77

Littleguimo77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Alright, I managed to recover the majority of my files. The ones I couldn't recover I can live without. I want to give a huuuuuuge thanks to computerwiz and also to digikiwi. You guys have no idea how thankful I am. I am forever indebted to your computer knowledge.

You can now consider this topic SOLVED

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Great! Glad we could help :blink:

And an "Excellent job" goes to Digikiwi! :whistling:

Sixto

Sixto

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi I just read through the 3 pages of this topic and I have exactly the same problem with
my hard drive. I go up to post#30: I tried taking out my hard drive and installing it as an
external drive via USB to another computer. My problem goes on because the working
computer (with a good XP system) does not recognize the damage drive. I here the bells
sound when I plug in the USB, and the light at the external hard drive enclosure blicks
back and foward from yellow to red. So I'm back to post#22 for step 4.

Our strategy for recovering your files:

1. Change internal hard drive into an external one.

2. Attach it to a working computer

3. If it is successfully recognized, simply transfer files.

4. If not, run repair programs.

5. If still not, use recovery programs

6. If still not, use quick format and then recovery programs.

7. If still not...that's it. Nothing else we can do.

My questions are: how can I get to read the damaged hard drive as an external one?
What repair/recovery programs will do it? The hard disk won't ´come up and I
don't have access to it.

I have tried every else mentioned before, with the windows cd reinstallation, recovery
console, repair, and chkdsk /r; extracting/coping the vgaoem file, etc. but nothing does it.
I just want to recover my files by changing my internal hard drive into an external one.
But it is not successfully recognized, and I can't simply transfer my files.

Any help for this nightmare, thanks.
S.

rexi

rexi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem with my DELL PC i tried to follow microsoft solution and it didnt work says that the path is not valid any suggestions?

Johnneo

Johnneo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys I have also had issues with vgaoem.fon, I found this site to be the most helpful of all the search results google gave me.

Here is my dilemma. I have successfully unpacked and installed vgaoem.fon to my pc from my windows cd... HOWEVER on booting back into windows a number of windows fonts appear to be corrupted. Displaying only blocks and squares. The fonts that seem to be affected are those that are used to show a file name in windows explorer, on the desktop, in windows screens, in context (right click) menus, etc. Oddly enough the description at the top of a window is not affected.

I have tried to run a system restore with no luck.

My main concern is that this problem is related to the vid card, although all other aspects of the display are working right. Could I have corrupted the font file?

My second concern is that this problem could be related to the windows installation. Since the HD seems to be slowly dieing I have been planning on upgrading the HD and copying over everything from the old drive to the new drive using an external enclosure. Do you think the same problem will pop up on the new drive after copying files?

Thanks for your help

Jentz

Jentz

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I cannot start Windows and am getting very frusterated. When I start my computer, before the Windows splash screen even loads, I recieve an error that says:

Windows could not start. The following file is missing or corrupted \windows\system\vgaoem.fon.

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I went to the Microsoft support page and followed their instructions (these instructions) but they didn't work. Everytime I type expand e:\i386\vgaoem.fo_ c:\windows\system, I recieve the following message: The system cannot find the file or directory specified.

I've searched the web and have found various "solutions" but haven't had much luck. Can someone walk me step-by-step and help me get through this problem?

I have the same problem. I have a Sony Vaio and it didn't come with ne recovery disks. But u could Download the recovery disk on blank cds. Question is. How do I know what disk I use to find the missing file.