Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound not working

• Please log in to reply

JacqueK

JacqueK

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have a Compaq, and just use the speakers on the monitor (nothing special) and they've worked fine since October when we got the computer... but last night they just stopped working. I've checked everything! If anyone has any ideas, please help!

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi JaqueK,

I'm not sure what your "everything" means. The first thing I would do is go to Controlpanel>Sounds and Audio Devices and check that the mute button isn't activated. I have found that something in my system sometimes decides to turn it on for some reason without me asking it to. Also check the volume settings while you're there.

If these are all set like they should be, have a look in control panel>system>hardware>device manager>sound and video controllers and check if there are any exclamation marks there.

If nothing appears out of the ordinary there then can you try plugging in some headphones into the audio out socket at the end of the computer? This will tell you if the problem lies with the computer or the speakers themselves (be careful if something is playing full volume through the headphones - don't blow your ears out :whistling: )

Let us know where you get to with that. Also some info on whether you are using onboard sound or a built in sound card would be good. If you're not sure it's likely to be onboard sound.

Digikiwi

JacqueK

JacqueK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well the volume settings were the first thing I checked... (I checked the "Volume Control Panel" the Volume on the speakers and the volume that's attatched to my keyboard)

No exclamation marks in the control panel either...

And nothign when I plugged in headphones either *sigh*

As far as the soundcard, it's whatever came with the computer...no modifications there! (And we bought it at Circuit City)

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Just want to make sure your headphones are plugged into the audio out on the computer and not one on the monitor, yeah?

What sound/media applications do you usually use/ are you testing with? Eg media player, itunes, etc?

The other place to check is your sound drivers - maybe an update is necessary? Let me know if you don't know how to check that.

Edited by digikiwi, 14 June 2006 - 11:48 PM.

JacqueK

JacqueK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I tested them on the monitor, not on the actual tower last night. When I tried it today it worked on the tower. Which would mean my problem is with the monitor, right?

JacqueK

JacqueK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I plugged in external speakers and had no luck. I'm not sure what to do. Headphones did work on the tower before I plugged in speakers.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

I tested them on the monitor, not on the actual tower last night. When I tried it today it worked on the tower. Which would mean my problem is with the monitor, right?

I would like to suggest that you try to be a little more specific in your descriptions, Jacque. by using pronouns like "it" and them" your meaning can be ambiguous for readers, especially when there is another post in between.

Good, so headphones work on the Tower. This indicates you have a line out.

I plugged in external speakers and had no luck. I'm not sure what to do. Headphones did work on the tower before I plugged in speakers.

1) Do these external speakers have their own power supply?
2) Do these headphones still work after you plugged in the speakers?

If the answer is no and yes respecively to the above questions then what may be happening is that the tower is providing a line out signal which is strong wnough to power headphones but not small external speakers.

There is one more thing I'd like you to try just to totally get the score on the monitor.

3) Can you use the auio cable from the monitor to plug into an mp3 player or similar and see if any output results (ie can you hear anything)?

4) Please provide the make/model number of your monitor and computer.

Dgikiwi