Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card failure?

• Please log in to reply

n2soccer21

n2soccer21

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi,

I think I'm having a problem with my graphics card. When I start up, everything is normal until I get to the login screen. red, green, yellow horizontal strips made of vertical bars appear all over the screen, making it very difficult to read anything at all. When rebooting, sometimes my monitor gets "no signal". I openned up the computer and made sure everything was conencted securely. I got the same problem. I re-seated the graphics card, didn't fix it. I had the computer off for the weekend and we had a storm that knocked out the power. But the somputer was off and plugged into a surge protector. Any ideas of what could be wrong or what I should do next? Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can try uninstalling your graphics drivers in device manager and then reinstall them. If that does not work your graphics card has probably been fried. I have had lightning strike cloes enough that even a surge protector did not prevent damage to a computer. If you check with the insurance companys only certain surge protectors are good enough to where they will cover computer damage by lightning.

SRX660

n2soccer21

n2soccer21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I uninstalled the display drivers and everything seems fine. However, all of the drivers I download also have the green bars. Does it make sense that without the drivers it would work and then with the drivers it wouldn't work? Does that support the idea that it could be fried? I've called NVidia and tried their drivers, including the BETA driver, but none worked. Now I'm contacting Gigabyte.