Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Software for making Sound Recordings

• Please log in to reply

Duncan Chaplin

Duncan Chaplin

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Greetings;
I've figured out how to use the Sound Recorder software that came with my computer to make recordings up to around 770 seconds long, but it seems that I can't make recordings much longer than that because of memory problems. Is there an easy solution? I assume that I'll probably have to buy another softeware package. If so, can anyone recommend a good option? I don't need anything fancy- but would like something that lets me make sound recordings that are basically unlimited in length, and at least 2 hours long.

Thanks,
Dunc

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is a good program. There is a learning curve to it if youve never recorded before but nothing you really can't handle. You just need to play with it for a while.

http://audacity.sour.../about/features

SRX660

Duncan Chaplin

Duncan Chaplin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks- I'll check that out.

Duncan Chaplin

Duncan Chaplin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well, I downloaded Audacity and that seemed to go fine and I was able to make one test recording but it was very quiet so I tried to turn up the volume. The computer stopped producing any sounds. I can't get music to play in other software packages now either. Any idea what might have happened? Needless to say I have checked all the volume settings I could find and they are all set at high.
Thanks,
Dunc

lanton

lanton

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This link will lead to what you want! Good Luck!
http://www.sound-recorder.com/

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please check in your volume control and see if you have playback with a dot in it and recording with no dot in it. It may be that audacity may have changed them.

SRX660

Duncan Chaplin

Duncan Chaplin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Fascinating. If I touch the microphone volume in Audacity it automatically mutes the "Wave" volume for my master volume. Regardless, I can't get any sound out of the machine, except for the beep I get when I switch the settings on the Master Volume. This includes when I use Media player to play songs. Should I try to uninstall Audacity?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, do uninstall audacity.

Then go to start menu and click on run. Type in services.msc and click OK. Scrool down to near the bottom and see if Windows Audio is started under status.

Now lets set your windows sounds to default.

Open Control Panel and double-click on the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon.

Under the "Sounds" tab, select "Windows default" in the Sounds Scheme drop down menu.

Under the "Audio" tab, make sure that Your Sound Device is listed in the top two sections...if not, select it from the drop down menu.

Under the "Voice" tab, make sure the Your Sound Device is listed in both boxes...if not, select it.

Under the "Volume" tab, put a tick in the box to "Place volume icon in the taskbar".

Click "Apply" and then "Ok".

Now look down by the clock...is there a little speaker there? If yes, double-click on it and make sure there is not a tick in the box next to "Mute" and that the Volume sliders are all set to at least halfway.

Reboot

See if your sounds are now working again.

SRX660

P.S. I have called in wannabe1 from the staff to help with this problem.

Duncan Chaplin

Duncan Chaplin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok. I uninstalled Audacity and did the run command. It said that Windows Audio was started.
I then went to the control panel and tried to set the defaults as you said, but when I went to the place where you said I should have "Your Sound Device" the only option given was "Realteck HD Audio Output." Also "apply" was not an option.

In regards to muting, the only thing muted was "Wave." I unmuted that.

No change on the computer- I still can't make recordings using Sound Recorder. I could before I installed Audacity.

FYI, I was wrong about my other programs--I do still get sound with RealPlayer and with a computer game. Hence, the problem may be the microphone. Is it possible that I somehow turned that off?

D

Duncan Chaplin

Duncan Chaplin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok- Everything seems to be working now. There were two problems.

1) Changing Microphone Volumen in Audacity shuts off Wave Volume on computer: When Audacity is installed and I change the microphone volume setting on the upper bar it automatically sets the "Wave volume" on my computer to Mute. When I play back recordings made either in Audacity or Sound Recorder I don't hear anything until I uncheck the Mute box under Wave Volume in my computer's volume settings.

2) Microphone Boost on Audio Input Setting: There is a separate set of "microphone" volume settings for the audio "output" and "input." I had only been changing the "output" settings before. Changing the mirocphone settings for the "output" doesn't seem to matter (not surprisingly in retrospect). To access the "input" volume controls and set the microphone boost go to
"Master Volume, Options, Properties, Mixer Device, Realtek HD Audio INPUT, Advanced (on the Recording Control Table), 1 microphone boost". Without doing this I can still make recordings but the sound is very faint.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers,
Duncan