Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLZ HELP ME! Built my first pc.... and somthings wrong!

• Please log in to reply

Franny74

Franny74

• Pip
  • 9 posts
HELP :help:

Ok I am a first timer here! So one fine day I decided wont it be cool to actually build my own system after years of working with computers.

I have already got;

A 1.7Ghz Pentium 4 cpu
Samsung DDR 184pin 512 ram PC2600
300watt PSU

- I wanted to test the very basic's before I bought everthing I need to check that it work (Before spending way too much for a big paper weight!)

So I turn on the PC and the fans all work, even the cpu fan, lights come on in front of the destop but screen is blank. I am sure the screen works because I just got it from a friend (an old CRT).

I have already tried the help section in here, to the point I have everything on a table and tried to run it - with the same out come :blink:

Another thing, I dont hear any beeps and as soon as I turn on the "on" button i cant turn it off! :whistling:

Please anyone try to help me! I am so stuck, and dont feel like going to the shop to get it looked at as am a bit short on cash latly!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have a graphix card on the thing? is it onboard or expansion (pci, pcie, agp)? or both?

Franny74

Franny74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey yeah it says on the site;

"Onboard Video: Built-in Real 256 bit 2D/3D graphics engine up to 128MB with total system memory 256MB or above"

Heres the website I used; http://www.emaxasp.c...=MS04661FM2-LSR

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and you don't have another graphix card in there right?

Franny74

Franny74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yup thats right only whats on the board

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...take all the ram out and try to boot up...do you get a beep?

Franny74

Franny74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
(As lack of speakers, I used head phones in the line out port) I took out the ram as instructed and did not hear a thing

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the "beep" should be coming from a system speaker..not through the sound card...do you have your system speaker set up?

Franny74

Franny74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I just checked, It seems as I do not. Is it possible to operate with out them?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the system speaker? (i.e. the little crappy speaker that hooks directly to the motherboard)...yeah..you can function without it...but it makes diagnosing problems by waiting for beeps impossible... did your case come with said speaker? is there a speaker built into the board? (do you by chance have another computer that you could take the speaker out of?

Franny74

Franny74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah I know what you mean, but it didnt come with the speaker (motherboard neither my case). The only other computer is my laptop! So I should try to get a speaker, I will be able to go to the shop today. But does the problem I am having commonly linked to a ram/memory problem?

And does the memory affect the monitor from projecting?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....well...if the board is broken...we'll know by the beeps....if the video card is having problems...again...we'll know by the beeps...the speaker is pretty helpfull when y ou don't know what's wrong

Franny74

Franny74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey, so I went by the shop, and I had to order it. As said it is a cheap little crappy speaker! lol, but all I need it to do is beep!

Could you possible direct me to the page where it describe's the different beeps? As I remember seeing it somwhere on the site....

Anyways thanks so much for your help you have been outstanding!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you google "bios beep codes" you'll find more info than you want