Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
no luck, see why I'm frustrated.

The Dellfax warnings on my application viwer seem to be gone but the error message survive, so I guess the two were unrelated. Back to square 1.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Remove the USB leads from the back of the tower, run this then check it before doing the updates

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...AHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS STILL THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It seems to go crazy when I attempt to play a game from a dvd. It lets me install off a dvd but not actually play a game. It appears even when I do not use the dvd drive but it seems to go absolutely nuts when I try to play a game.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the game has a desktop icon, right click it, click properties, compatibility, tick turn off advanced text services, click apply

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Its not one game in particular and the message appears even when I am not playing a game. In fact it appears when the cpu is idle or during the screensaver.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Probably hardware now so you need to look at things like memtest and HD Tune

http://www.hdtune.com/

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
good news: I got memtest to run
bad news: both hdtune and memtest (ran for 18 hrs) came back with 0 errors.

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The guys malware university home of Hijack This told me it did not appear to be malware related. Should I give up and just completely restore my cpu?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can back up the data you need

Use the default NTFS format, not quick

Advertisements

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I just used the a2 trojan detection tool and it showed that I have Scarab trojans in ports 1225 and 1255, Project next in port 1256, NetSpy Mavericks Matrix Remote storm in port 1025, Ultor's Trojan sub7 2.0, Bagle.AF and A backdoor-G sub7 1243 Apocolypse, tiles.

Could this be the cause of my problem?

Even if not, how do I rid myself of these?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Any malware will contribute to a PC running incorrectly

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Now I can't update windows or McAfee and my computer wont let me restore it past today's date!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get any error messages?

If you have definitely established present malware then post 27 is the best way to go

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello, Imabadmormon. As Keith said, you definitely have Malware on that computer. :blink: You need to follow as much of the "Start Here" topic as you can. If there are steps you cannot perform, that's ok. Just do as much as you can, and then get a topic started in the Malware Forum. One of our trained staff will be glad to help you clean your computer up. :help:

For the record, the "home" of HijackThis is with its creator, Merijn. :whistling: No one forum can claim to be the home of HJT. There are TONS of forums that read HJT logs, and I'd be very interested to see a link to a topic where you were declared to be malware-free, when it is very obvious you are not.