Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks gus I did all of the prerequesite steps so I will post my log there and see if they can help. This is the last thing I will bother you with, is there a way to force my cpu to a certian restore point?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will get a better reaction to any repairs when the PC is clear of malware and you don't want to create restore points with malware on the PC

alexcastle

alexcastle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I also have this problem. Would a system reboot fix my computer and remove this problem??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you think you have malware on the PC?

alexcastle

alexcastle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have no idea. My friend is coming round on friday to try and sort out the problem. He's v gd at computery stuff.

The message only started appearing yesterday, after i installed a trial version of AVG with its firewall. Then microsoft security centre said its firewall was turned off so I turned it back on. The message then appeared. I can, however, continue to play games no problem but its generally annoying me a lot. Is it actually harmful for my computer?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Turn the windows firewall off if you have a third party one, see if the error goes

alexcastle

alexcastle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
The firewall is off but the message still appears. It also appears when i close paint. The mspaint.exe is another one to add to the list

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, control panel, security centre, change the way security centre alerts me, remove the tick for firewall, click apply

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

alexcastle

alexcastle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ill do this when my friend is here. he'll know what to do. when i do these things i always muck up and break something...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

Advertisements

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey everybody! (Hey Dr. Nick!)

Just checking back to let you know that I resolved my problem, I found someone at Dell who actually knew what they were doing. The problem was McAfee conflicting with windows blinds. I removed both and everything is peachy keen again. Thanks for everyone's help I sure do appreciate your time.

P.S. McAfee sucks!!!!!!

alexcastle

alexcastle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Window blinds? What are they?
Maybe the same is happening with AVG and my windows. What I should do as I only bought the 2 year subscription yesterday. Have you reinstalled McAfee and has the problem persisted?

Imabadmormon

Imabadmormon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Windows blinds is a program that that you can install on your cpu to change the basic appearance of windows. If you dont know what they are you probably dont have them installed onyour cpu. I did reinstall McAfee and no the problem did not remain but McAfee has its own set of issues. I now use AVG and I have had no problems, so dont worry. Just start uninstalling all your other programs one by one because most likely one is conflicting with AVG.

alexcastle

alexcastle

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Score!!

Turned out it was a clash between Spyware Doctor and AVG. Spware Doctor was the first thing I uninstalled and now everthing is working again.

My friend thouht it was a registry error. I don't need him. YAY!!

Thanks for the advice