Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bin the bin

• Please log in to reply

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
anyone no how to get recycle bin off desktop, i no u can alter user's settings to it dont come up but dont no how, i have admin control so- could anyone help??

Advertisements

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
The only way I know how to do it involves registry editing - something that you should be very very careful with and always export keys to a file as a backup measure before changing/removing them. That being said, here is a link:

edit: This is for WinXP/2003 only.

http://www.petri.co...._in_xp_2003.htm

Edited by kunwon1, 15 June 2006 - 01:46 PM.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
A simpler solution for Win2k is to use Tweak UI 1.33.

Download and run the program. It will extract several files to the directory you ran the program from. Right-click on the .inf file and select Install.

Once that is done installing, go to the Control Panel and open TweakUI. Go to the Desktop tab and you can un-check the Recycle Bin.

If you are using WinXP, I'll explain how to get the WinXP Power Toys.

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
ah kkk yea sorry i should ave sed, im on xp

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Ok, go here and download tweakui.exe (the non-Itanium one, unless you have an Itanium processor) on the right and run the program.

When you are done, go to Start > All Programs > Powertoys for Windows XP > Tweak UI.

Click on Desktop and then un-check Recycle Bin.

Click Ok.

Revel in the glory of a clean desktop.

DaGeekz

DaGeekz

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
There is an easy way, if you are using Windows XP Pro,

Hit run, and type in "gpedit.msc"
In there, you open "User Configuration", "Administrative Templates", then "Desktop"

In there you can change various things about your desktop, including being able to hide the Recycle bin>

Just right click on "Show Recycle Bin on Desktop"
Hit properties, and choose what you want.