Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remote desktop in Server 2003 with VPN

• Please log in to reply

voltmaster

voltmaster

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have setup a server using Win Server 2003 operating system. Its running 'active directory' so the intra-net is a domain. There a 2 NICs in it, one for the intra-net and the other is connected to the inter-net. I am using VPN on this machine so all workstations have access to the inter-net though the server. That all works ok. I can not get a connection lets say from my office (30 miles away) using 'Remote desktop' over the internet. The server has a static IP from comcast. Now I can remote in to the server from any workstation on the domain in the building and if I use the comcast IP address within the building I connect just fine. The problem is I need to connect from my office to the server and using the same IP comcast address it will not find or connect to it. Now I hooked up a XP machine and I can connect to it ok, so I pretty sure the problem is not comcast. Every thing looks like it is turned on but I think I am missing something. Could somebody give me a quick setup list to see what I am missing. Could it be the firewall? This to I am having problems turning off to test this theoy.
Thanks, Voltmaster.

Advertisements

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Sounds like firewall would be suspect #1 in my book, mainly due to the fact that you can connect from the intranet but not the internet.

voltmaster

voltmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
do you know how do I access the firewall with VPN running. I can not do it though Control panel.
Voltmaser

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I wasn't necessarily referring to the in-built windows firewall, and I have no experience with any of the '2003' microsoft products. Simply based on your description of the problem, it sounds like something a firewall (be it internal to the particular server, or part of your network infrastructure as a whole) would do. Sorry couldn't be of more help..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not 100% sure on how you're implementing the VPN...but if the server is part of a domain..you wont be able to use RDP unless you're in the "allowed" list for remote desktop.....

could you describe what you mean by remote desktop won't work with the server? also could you describe EXACTLy how y ou're implementing the VPN?

voltmaster

voltmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The server is part of the domain with active directory running on it (only 1 server). I have added myself to the RDP list, however it will not even find the machine over the internet to get that far. When I used a XP machine with 2 NIC in it it works fine. The VPN (on the server) is being used so the workstations on the domain intranet has web access and goes though the server (to log). I too think the problem is the firewall, but I can not find out how to check the settings or turn it off to test this theory. Let me know if you have any ideals? Thanks Voltmaster

voltmaster

voltmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
After posting this problem with 4 help websites nobody could give me an answer. But I fould it myself. The problem was in the firewall and when running VPN the firewall settings are not in a likely place to setup.

Thanks anyways
Voltmaster