Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

launch icons and start menu have disappeared

• Please log in to reply

Wayfr

Wayfr

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello everyone,

The problem on my son's PC is this...he can open up Windows and get access to one of the users, but when
the page populates, there is no Start button or his launch icons present. It appears that files are missing?
Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. He has Windows XP pro running. Thanks.

Advertisements

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Try this..

Once the PC has started up, and you are in windows, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to bring up task manager. From there, File>New Task(run) and type explorer.exe and press enter. Does that restore any functionality?

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok ,I tried that and there is no response...nothing...nada.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try ctrl + alt + delete keys together

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Oh, by the way, when I minimize his page to the bar, it disappears and I can no longer retrieve it to bring the page back up.

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello Keith, I did try the three finger salute. I can't seem to bring the task manager up.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you experience this same issue in Safe Mode under the Administrator account?

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello Wannabe1, I went into save mode, it was painfully slow, and also
responded the same negative way.

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
FYI, I rolled the cursor over the task bar and where the launch icons were before the cursor highlighted a dot which identified the application.When I tried to open Mozilla it said that the application failed to start because of incorrect configuration.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How long has it done this?

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Keith, he says the problem started today after uninstalling a couple of programs.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XPthe article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 315222

Wayfr

Wayfr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Keith, It was successful!!! We both thank you for your sound advice and guidance in this matter. Cheers!!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know