Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing Partitions

• Please log in to reply

Xternal34

Xternal34

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okie... I messed up my computer a bit. Right now... I have two versions (Home, Pro sp2) installed on my computer. It's a good thing I have a 142 GIG harddrive... if I didn't then I might officially be f-ed. Now.. I basically want to get WinXP Home off my computer... I don't have supervisor access to my computer, because my brother changed the password and forgot... :whistling:

So.. is there anyway to get WinXP Home off, without netbios? Or what? :blink:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Xternal34...

Can you give me a little background on how you ended up with two versions of Windows on the machine?

Open the C: drive. How many folders named Windows are there? (ie: Windows, Windows0, Windows1, etc.)

Click Start, then Control Panel, and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab. in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the next window, click the "Advanced" tab, then click on the "Edit" button. Copy/Paste the contents of the resulting notepad window (boot.ini) here for me.

wannabe1

Xternal34

Xternal34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okie well... I did a system recovery... and then was like... double yo utee eff. And boot in WinXP Pro sp2... and that just installed the other partition..

And there's only one windows folder. It's showing no trace of the other partition on this one... and pretty sure the other one too. :\

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The boot.ini is a mess. :whistling:

Go back to the C: and see if there is a folder named WINNT. (WIN_NT)

Xternal34

Xternal34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Actually it isn't. :help: Just have two other partitions that I don't really need. And! That is with word wrap. So in your face! OOOOOOH. :blink:

And err, no folder.:whistling:

Edit

Okie... basically i want to get my sound bakc, and install sound drivers. But cheh. Would formatting the drive C come in all handy? :\

Edited by Xternal34, 15 June 2006 - 04:22 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay...my ISP is being a little funky this afternoon. :whistling:

Is there a Windows folder in the D: drive?

Xternal34

Xternal34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
On the other partition? Yes