Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New System HELP!

• Please log in to reply

wwillie

wwillie

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I've just built a new system with a Asus A8R32-MVP deluxe MB , AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200, ATI All In Wonder X1800XL graphics card , 2 gb of corsair Twinx2048-3200c2pt memory running xp pro sp2. My problem is this. The screen would start blinking to all black and then come back on. This happened for awhile until now, I can't even boot up the system. The screen comes up that ask if you want to boot to safe mode, normally, etc. It doesn't matter what I do the system just loops and goes nowhere. Any help would be appreciated. Tried new memory, didn't help. TIA!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I would suggest stripping the system to bare bones and troubleshoot that way. Here is an excellent guide that will assist (credit The Elder Geek): http://www.theelderg...nstallation.htm

wwillie

wwillie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Sorry for not explaining myself. It has been up and running for about a month and just recently started what I had stated.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Doesn't matter if its only been working for 30 minutes or 30 months, the suggestion that austin_o gave you is the best way to trouble-shoot hardware problems. You always start with minimal components hooked up to the motherboard and then add on more components until you find the component that is causing the issue.

Fenor

wwillie

wwillie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I did as you said and took everything out except a basic graphics card and memory.It goes through the boot sequence and the blue screen of death flashes momentarially,(to fast to read whats on it) and it starts the boot process back over again. Seems like a bad MB to me Any thoghts? TIA

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
ahh ive had that problem with a laptop it was the HDD. I had to get the system recovery disk out and repair windows. I tryed using recovery console and it found errors and fixed them but the errors would just come back after shutting down windows and booting up again. If you have a bootable windows CD boot from CD and use repair console type "fixboot" is what I used. If you have a upgrade disk you most probably need to buy yourself a copy of a non upgrade version to get your pc working again.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
if the above doesnt work, just put in the parts that are necessary for booting, like the ram cpu and hd, and gpu, no extras, if it works then use the process of elimination. and if it does boot with the necessary parts, make sure u update ur bios and the drivers and see what happens.

wwillie

wwillie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
THANKS TO ALL! Ran fixboot and repaired xp installation and all seems to be working fine. How did I get in this situation in the first place, I don't know. Thanks again! wwillie