Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Find Windows Security Center

• Please log in to reply

blaze14220

blaze14220

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've been trying to find my security center in the control panel but it seems to be missing from the whole gruop. Anyone know where I can find it?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got SP2

1. Click Start, click Run, type Services.msc, and then click OK.
2. In the right pane, double-click Security Center.
3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and then click OK.
4. Restart the computer.

blaze14220

blaze14220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Nope only SP1, and I heard installing SP2 with present malware can be harmful so I didn't....and all I see is security accounts, but nothing on security center.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You won't have security centre with SP1

blaze14220

blaze14220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Is that so? Well, would you have any idea about disabling windows security center bubble alerts?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Possibly you don't get the firewall with SP1 :whistling:

Have you got a screenshot of your control panel

blaze14220

blaze14220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Nope...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Increased Manageability and Control

Windows XP SP2 makes it easier to configure and manage security resources with new functionality, more accessible and intuitive security tools, and improved settings. They include the following:

Windows Security Center. This new Control Panel feature allows customers to check the status of essential security functionalities at a glance. Windows Security Center monitors information on firewalls, Automatic Update and third-party anti-virus software. It will inform users whether these key security capabilities are turned on and up to date, and will notify them if updates need to be made or if additional actions may need to be taken to improve their security. For enterprises, all aspects of Windows Security Center can be managed centrally via Active Directory Group Policy.

blaze14220

blaze14220

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'd like to get the second service pack, but I do belive I have malware and can't that mess up compatibility? I've already did the 5 steps found on this site to remove malware, but I'm still not sure if I have some or not.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through anything you haven't, then post the HJT Log in the Malware Forum

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...opic=117266&hl= in this thread you were told to download SP1...yet here you say you already have sp1? also in the malware thread you say that windows said you have an invalid product key? where did your copy of xp that's on the system now come from?