Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD problem

• Please log in to reply

aalh004

aalh004

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
My computer is giving me problems after I performed an automatic update. Now when I start the computer, i get the well known Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), but it only comes on for a fraction of a second before the computer restarts again and goes through the same loop. I have tried going into "safe mode" and "last known good configuration" and ofcourse they both failed as they always do in this situation.

But now whats worrying me is that windows repair is not doing its thing, and thats the only thing i know which can fix this. When i go into windows repair, i get a black screen which looks like

Microsoft Windows® Recovery Console

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

C:\>

As you can see, it doesnt give me a choice of a windows system to fix. I really dont know where to go from here. If anyone knows what to do please let me know.
Thanks

Edited by aalh004, 15 June 2006 - 06:45 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi aalh004...

You are entering Recovery Console. Are you using an OEM Recovery cd or a retail XP installation cd?

If you are using a retail version, on the first screen after booting to the cd, press "Enter" to start the Setup. On the next screen press F8 to accept the license agreement. On the third screen, select your operating system and press R.

This will appear to be reinstalling Windows, but it will actually repair the installation you selected.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried booting to "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"? You can run a system restore from the prompt...

wannabe1

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi,
Im using a retail XP installation CD. I get the blue recovery screen and choose R to repair, but after that it doesnt give the normal choices, instead it gives me that black screen that i described in my above post.

I have NOT tried to boot from "safe mode with command prompt".

Edited by aalh004, 15 June 2006 - 07:21 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Refer to post #2...on the first screen, press "Enter" just as though you were going to install XP again...then F8...THEN R (after selecting the operating system.

Pressing R in the first screen will take you to Recovery Console...not to the Repair operation you want.

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok, after pressing ENTER and F8, im only given options to install Windows on the selected pertition by pressing C, or to delete the selcted partition, and F3 to quit. There is no 'R' repair option after I press ENTER and F8.

Edited by aalh004, 15 June 2006 - 07:52 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's telling you there is not an operating system to repair...at least it can't find one. Cancel out (F3).

Try booting to "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"...let me know if you are able to do that...we may end up in Recovery Console yet... :whistling:

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Do you know why it telling that my C drive is completely free when its actually should have 12GB remaining out of 40GB? Its also telling me that the file system (NTFS or FAT32) is unkown!!

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
If i was to install windows xp on my D partition of 5GB, would i be able to access my document files from C atleast? i know this should work, but given this case, will it work?

Edited by aalh004, 15 June 2006 - 08:04 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It has been known to work, but I'd sure like to take a look at the C: directory. A command prompt would be handy.

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
WOW! This just gets more fun as we go along! Listen to this, now the computer is not even going to the startup selection screen, the one where i can choose to start normal or safe mode etc. Instead, i get "remove any bootable drive or cd then press any key to restart" or something along those lines, even though there is nothing inside the computer!

Edited by aalh004, 15 June 2006 - 08:12 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have anything in a USB port?

Boot back to the cd and press R in the first screen. What happens?

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have nothing in a USB port, if i press R in the first screen i get that black screen from earlier.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
At the prompt, type logon and press "Enter". What do you see?

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
just goes to next line and prints out C:\> again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Type dir and press "Enter". Does it give you a list of files and/or folders?