Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD problem

• Please log in to reply

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It gives a short list, which at the end says
5 file(s) 0 bytes

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling: This is not looking good, aalh004. Did you have a lot of important data on that partition?

Let's try one more command. At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter".
If it says the drive is busy, press Y to schedule the check at the next boot. Reboot.

Does this check run or do you get an error?

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It ran and gave me a serial model number, then it gave me some numbers for allocation units

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's it, huh? Not a good sign.

Try your idea and install on the D: partition and see if you can see anything on the C:. I think the file system on C: has become corrupt. That's pretty tough to recover from...if it can even be recovered.

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
What were you expecting to see from that last command?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If the check had found any file system at all, it should have taken upwards of 30 to 45 minutes to run...even longer in most cases. It would have checked all the clusters on the partition and tried to recover bad or corrupt sectors...no file system = no check.

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok then i'll try installing on D at a later time and hopfully i can the access the documents on C, but for now thank you very much for your help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure... :whistling:

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Before i go ahead with that, there are some folders on my D drive that i need aswell, is there anyway i can retrieve them before i commence with the install?