Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New HP browser hijacked by...HP?

• Please log in to reply

chris73

chris73

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I set up a PC at work today. A new HP AMD 64. The default browser is HP/AOL. When I change it, it redirects back to that site. Hijack This shows the redirect, but when I remove it, it reappears on the next scan as if nothing was done. I'm kind of embarassed that I can't fix a simple thing like setting my company's home page on a new PC, but there you go. Any thoughts? I can't post a logfile until tomorrow.

Ran Adaware, Spybot, CC Cleaner, CW Shreder, Trojan Hunter, Spyware Blaster and Trend Micro House Call to no avail. :whistling:

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
hey there Chris and Welcome to Geeks to Go!!! i see you have joined geek u,(a very wise choice, :whistling: )

um the first thing to try whould be to change your homepage in the browser itself. seeing as you have done that with no avail, please reboot your computer and keep pressing F8, when it brings up the start up options select "Safe Mode" then run Hijack This, and click the enterie with the "hijacked" homepage.

hope this helps! :blink:

chris73

chris73

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Worked like a charm. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
anytime :whistling: