Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media player problem

• Please log in to reply

chronostorm

chronostorm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey everyone. My computer has a problem with Windows Media player. Whenever I try to load a .wmv video file, it crashes. Also, whenever I try to stream something in any web browser, the WMP plug-in causes the browser to crash. I'm using version 10 right now, but 9 has the same problems. I've tried removing and reinstalling it, but nothing has worked so far. Will a repair install of the OS help? THanks!

Advertisements

DeanofHC

DeanofHC

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Couple of questions:

- When did the computer start having this problem? Did you make adjustments, run installs, etc. that may have caused it? You could consider running a system restore.

- Also, are you running XP with Service Pack 2? More than a few people have had system problems after they installed SP2.

DeanofHC

DeanofHC

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I looked at your profile, should have done so before I posted.

Have you tried uninstalling SP2?

chronostorm

chronostorm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
eh.. sorry about the mal-information. i had SP 1 installed before, and i already had the problem. After install SP 2, the problem was still there. I've had this problem ever since i can remember.

Alex Says

Alex Says

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been having the exact same problem as well. My laptop is brand new (Toshiba Portege, 512 MB RAM, wireless internet, Windows XP, etc. etc.), but whenever I try to load streaming video or open a video file (e.g. an MPG), the hard disk starts thrashing, the fan goes on high speed, and Windows Media Player completely crashes.

I've done a check for adware, spyware, viruses, etc. -- absolutely zero infections. I, too, have had this problem as long as I've had this computer.

Service Pack 2 and Windows Media Player 10 are both installed.

What gives?