Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes when ripping a CD

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Ok, this problem is driving me crazy. I am trying to rip some CDs to my computer to MP3s so I can listen to them with Winamp rather than having to pull CDs in and out all the time. But, it seem randomly, my computer is freezing during the ripping process.

I was originally using the program CDEx v1.50 to rip using the Lame MP3 encoder. These are CDs that I've ripped in the past without any problems (using this very same program). It would freeze 2 or 3 times every CD. When I say freeze, I mean my whole computer will stop responding, even my mouse. I don't get a blue screen, just see my desktop, so I have to reboot by pushing the reset button.

I then installed an updraged version, CDex v1.70 beta, but it still freezes, though less often. Now it will freeze after every 2 or 3 CDs have been ripped.

I was doing some searching online and came across an article about the Lame MP3 DLL having a bug and needing replacing or something, but, wouldn't you know it, I tried ripping again, and my computer froze, so I lost the article and can't seem to find anything about it.

Any ideas? Or has anyone heard of the Lame MP3 encoder needing to be upgraded or something?

thanks for any advice.

mike.

Advertisements

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
UPDATE: on a hunch, right after I got done ripping a CD without it freezing, I checked the temperature of my computer. I loaded up trusty old Evererst Home Edition, and it said my CPU was running at 145 F.

No wonder if was freezing! I stopped ripping, and it's slowely going back down.

Obviously, the issue is that my computer is getting too hot. Is this normal when ripping? Is there anyway to counteract this?

(NOTE: moderator, if possible, please move this thread to the hardware forum, as it seems my issue has changed)

thanks,
mike.