Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

windows services- printer spool stopped

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been using this computer and printer for over a year with no problems, now windows does not recognize the printer. When I try to "add a printer" or install the printer drivers from the installation cd I am prevented from doing so because "the printer spool service is stopped." I have gone thru the control panel to the list of services and started and restarted this service many times (setting is on automatic). It always shows on the list as started, but when I then try to install the printer I get a message that the service has stopped. It is as if the service is shutting itself down. I use windows xp (service pack 2) home.
Incidental intelligence-About a week ago windows would not let me sign on, instead I got a diglog box indicating I had to verify windows as if it was new. I entered the product key, which was not recognized and actually had to phone microsoft and get a code to enter before I could sign in. I am thinking there might be some instability in windows, but I really don't want to reinstall windows. Can anybody help with this vexing problem?