Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Autorun would not work to install WOW game Help!

• Please log in to reply

joncho

joncho

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hey I just got WOW and my computer would not autorun the install file from the cd. I went to my computer to look for the drive and install it by clicking the install file but my pc would not open the file. I also have tried right click on the cd-rom drive and click autoplay but nothing. Any help please!!! :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you tried installing anything else from CD, you don't have to complete the install, just check if it will start to install

joncho

joncho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Yeah I tried sim city 4 and also tried driver. They both start as soon as I insert the cd. Also music cd would start automatically. I also tried installing world of warcraft on my GF'S latop and the install starts right away, so is not the cd. Another thing I have tried was to copy all of the files from the cd into a folder on my desktop and when I tried this my pc freezes.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Find the set up file, right click it, click properties, click compatibility, tick turn off advanced text services, click apply, try to install it

Another thing to try is clicking start, click run, type msconfig then press enter, press start up, click disable all, click apply, reboot, tick do not start the configuration utility when windows loads

Try the install, if it runs and installs, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, put the dot in normal start up, click apply and reboot

joncho

joncho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
No luck with those tips. Still nothing. Another thing I noticed is that when I go to my computer and the double click on the cd-rom drive where wow is the drive would not open, I have to right click it and the click open.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
But other CD's are fine?

joncho

joncho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
By other cd's do you refer to the other wow cd's or any other type of cd I use on my pc? I have not tried using hte other wow cd since they are numbered, I have been using #1. I use other cd's like musci and they work fine....hold on. I just tried a music cd and when on my computer and double clicking the drive where the music cd is, it asks me what program I want to use to open the files. It never used to do this it would just open an explorer windows to see the files in the cd.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Right click the drive, click properties, click autoplay, put the dot in the opposite one to where it is, restore defaults should highlight, put the dot back where it was, click restore defaults, click apply

If that doesn't change how WoW runs, click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, click the + next to DVD / CD ROM Drives, right click the problem drive, (make a note of the make and model), click uninstall, confirm then reboot, try WoW

joncho

joncho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
that's it I am so frustrated at my pc right now I am trowing it out the windows. :whistling: I can't believe is not working, the only cd I want to use. Should I just get a new computer?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you uninstalled it in device manager, windows loaded it, WoW is still the only CD which won't run, you can look for a firmware update for the drive, but check you get the correct one, beyond that, contact WoW to ask if they know why

Advertisements

joncho

joncho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thank you so much for your help. I am just really confused why would it work on my laptop but not my pc. Oh well time for a new computer

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Odd, because you are able to do both, play CD's and the WoW CD installs on another system, I would check the WoW site first before using this as an excuse to buy a dual core with 4GB Ram :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
An outside chance is to copy the files to the laptop, use synctoy from my signature to transfer the files to the other PC then see if they install

OR

upload them from the laptop with http://spread-it.com/

download to the desktop

joncho

joncho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
That is an awesome idea. I started doing that with my usb-drive and it seems to be working i am on the last cd now. I will try to install it and then I would let you know. thx

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well