Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buildin' a computer and need some help with stuff if anyones got s

• Please log in to reply

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hey..ok im building a computer and I need some help with a few things

What im gonna use the comp for: Gaming (I want to get good enough stuff to last me for a few years, lol, the ever expanding gaming world!)

Ok Heres what I have:

80 Gb Hard Drive
Sound Blaster Audigy

This is stuff I have already from my old computer that im going to be using

Heres stuff I want to get:
Case
CPU
RAM
Video
As for the motherboard, I was hoping someone could find me one at the ZipZoomFly or the NewEgg websites that is compatible with the CPU, case, and other stuff that I have. Also if im leaving anything out that I need can you let me know?

Thanks,
-Mike

Edited by DeadEye, 19 June 2006 - 01:46 PM.

Advertisements

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Heres a Asus motherboard: Asus A8S-X SIS 756

if you were thinking bout ATIs crossfire then heres a Sapphire motherboard: Sapphire Pure CrossFire Advantage PC-A9RD480ADV

DeadEye

DeadEye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Cool man, thanks, ill take a look into the Asus a little bit more.

Thanks agian,
-Mike

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are going AMD dont get Asus not worth the hassle, i reccomend MSI or Abit.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are going AMD dont get Asus not worth the hassle, i reccomend MSI or Abit. Here AM2 only costs about 4 or 5 quid more and you can get the new nf5 mobos and cheaper ddr2 ram. Usually works out similar price but newer is better, AMD are also halfing prices for the x2 range in July and taking a third off A64s.

Edited by warriorscot, 18 June 2006 - 06:12 PM.

DeadEye

DeadEye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
The great Scott has entered the forum..hehe, hey can you look through ZipZoomFly and find meone? I dont know anything bout motherboards lol.

About your edit: So what, I shouldnt get the Corsair ram ive got up there? Id say thats pretty cheap for 2 Gb, $120!
Now you went and got me all confused see how you are!

By the way: I live in America..how much is a quid to a dollar?

Edited by DeadEye, 18 June 2006 - 06:18 PM.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
something like 1.82 dollars to the pound. Yeah because you havent got the RAM, CPU or Video card yet I would go with socket AM2 but then you will need DDR2 RAM and atm there isnt much choice in the motherboard section but they are coming out pretty fast now so expect there to be more soon. Yes warriorscot is probably the biggest legend on this forum lol.

DeadEye

DeadEye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
K Rumble ill look into that more...

And yea he is aint he? Mr. post alot with almost 6,500 posts since May 31, 2005 !

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
if u want the computer u last u a few years in the ever expanding computer world. then i would suggest waiting about a month for the Conroes and G80s. now if the price is too high for you, the parts that are new now, such as the AM2s or the S939 dual cores or Opterons and the 7900 Gts, u can just go for those. it would be wise to do so, becuase the prices of the above will definitely drop once the new parts come out.

to add to scotts post
dont get Asus, 1) too expensive and not worth it

if ur getting S 939 get the MSI k8n neo4-f, great for overclocking as well. and for the ram either get G.Skill, OCZ, Crucial, Patriot, or Mushkin, make sure its dual channel and 2 gigs. and you dont have to get expensive ones, the great ones average bout $180 on newegg, but check zipzoomfly for the same ones and see their prices. oh and another choice for a motherboard would be DFI Lanparty UT ULtra-d, and if ur getting s 940 get the MSI k9n neo

DeadEye

DeadEye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Ok I should have put some side notes up; here:

-Im NOT going to be overclocking
-Im NOT going to buying this right away, probably by the end of the year
-The most I want to pay is $700-750
-The way I see it, the computer I have now is 6 years old and it runs everything fine except for the new new games, such as BF2 and GW. So I think I could spend a little less now, and have more money to upgrade the one im going to buy later

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well, end of the year will be a good time to buy, the new AMDs will be out and intel conroe will be established and the first price drops coming in. There will also be good mobo choice and hopefully some good intel nforce options.

Yeah that RAM is cheap but its DDR you want DDR2 for the new chips and boards there actually isnt a big performance difference its just a price thing its cheaper to make big amounts of ddr2 memory than ddr.

6,500 isnt that much some of the mods are at 10,000+.

DeadEye

DeadEye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Oh ok Scott, didnt know DDR2 was cheaper. Ill look into it more as the year is coming to the end. Thanks for the help tho :whistling:

ps..edited the link to my RAM, what you think of those?

Edited by DeadEye, 19 June 2006 - 01:47 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its good thats the bleeding edge latencies they higher timing ram is cheaper, there is also faster stuff available, but you can look nearer the time there will be alot more of it and it willl be alot cheaper.