Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Age of Emires III demo--removal

• Please log in to reply

Coop88

Coop88

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello,

I had installed the Age of Empires III demo from a CD that came with a PC mag. I could never get the game to play so I uninstalled it using Add/Remove programs. Then I went into my program files and deleted anything leftover. When PC Cillin runs a scan, it hangs when it gets to Age of Empires. I thought I removed it. I went into documents and settings (the location that was displayed during the scan) and cannot find anything related to Age of Empires. I've even run a search and cannot find Age of Empires on my PC. I'd really like to eliminate this game since it slows down my antivirus scans so much. I just cannot find any Age of Empire files when I look for them. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you including hidden and system files

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, run disc clean up, reboot, try the scan

Coop88

Coop88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the quick response!!

I tried the prefetch thing above, but Age of Empires still shows up on my virus scans. As far as system and hidden files, windows shows hidden files (they are the somewhat transparent folders, yes?) and I've looked in the Windows folder as well as all of the documents folders. Do you think I will have to reformat to eliminate this mystery file(s)? If that's the case, I may just live with it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this and then check, other possibilities are:

The AV programme has an error, if it a free one then you could download a fresh copy, uninstall the existing one then install the new copy

It is in the system restore set

Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

You could check with any or all of these

Online Scans

Panda Scan

House Call

If Trend Micro freezes during updating, close then retry

Trend Micro Spyware Scan

Kaspersky Online Scan

Coop88

Coop88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I deleted the prefetch files, ran Tune Up Utilities, and uninstalled and re-installed Trend Micro. The age of empires file is still there, taunting me. It also shows up on the panda scan, although Panda didn't hang as long as TM did--my hard drive did make a strange squeeling noise while Panda scanned that particular file. What a stubborn file that game turned out to be!

Edited by Coop88, 20 June 2006 - 12:57 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you use search, include hidden and system files, can you find anything for the game

Have you also searched for files with the name of the manufacturer

Coop88

Coop88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Found it. Folder name was _is1B. My AV scan time went from just over 15 minutes to a little over 8. Thanks for your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know