Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win xp install menu hard disk settings

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I have 2 IDE hd and 1 SATA hd. C: is set to IDE hd 1, E: to SATA hd in the windows install menu. In bios: this order is given: 1 SATA hd 2 IDE hd master 3 IDE hd slave
How do I set C: to SATA hd, so I can install win xp on C: on SATA hd ? I would prefer to do this without opening the pc-case.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi okeee!

You can go into the BIOS and disable the IDE ports on your computer, or you can just set the PRIMARY MASTER to NONE and PRIMARY SLAVE to NONE. Then save the settings and reboot the computer. Make sure the XP CD is in the drive and that you have the floppy disk with the driver for your SATA drive on it, since you will have to hit I believe it's F6, during the initial startup of windows setup when it is loading all the drivers, so that you can install the drivers for your sata drive, else windows will not detect it when you try to install windows on it. You should then be able to go to the screen where you select the partition to install windows on, and delete the partition currently on the sata drive and then create a new one and then format the drive and install windows on it.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 16 June 2006 - 06:25 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
After windows is installed, you can then go back into the BIOS and re-enable the IDE ports and/or set the PRIMARY MASTER and PRIMARY SLAVE back to AUTO. Then save the settings and reboot the computer and XP should find the drives and assign letters to them.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 16 June 2006 - 06:25 AM.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I tried that, but then pc won't start up anymore, not even when start up from cd only is set in bios section.