Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard disk not visible

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
How can I partition and format the hd? Without using disk management, as it causes the slave drive to be dependent on the boot drive.

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Do you have your Windows CD? If so, change the boor order and boot from the CD. You can use it to partition the disk.

If not, create a bootable floppy from Bootdisk and use the fdisk command.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I have win xp cd, but if you press the format option, win xp will also install win xp on that partition. I just want a partition to be formatted.

When changing the boot order to SATA hd, the pc won't start up from CD.

Edited by okeee, 16 June 2006 - 03:22 AM.

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Windows doesn't necessarily install the OS using the CD. Once it's formatted the partition, don't let it load the setup files. Read this for more info.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I already tried that, and when formatting was done, immediately win xp install begun.

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Can we go back a bit? What do you mean when you say using Disk Management causes the slave drive to be dependent on the boot drive?

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
When using disk management from the master hd, and then formatting a slave hd will make this slave hd dependent on the master hd. So how do I format without using disk management?

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I still don't get what you mean by it being dependent. Formatting it in Disk Management will create a clean formatted drive that shows up seperately in My Computer. You then decide what you want on there.

You can take it out of the machine anytime you like and it won't effect the running of the OS, as long as you move the jumper settings.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The slave wont be depandant on the other drive beyond the fact that it is required to have an OS to read the drive, if you want the slave to have its own OS you will need to buy and install windows on the slave or load linux on it. But the Slave drive will be a slave its dependant on an OS to access it that will happen no matter how you format it.

If the drive is formatted in disk managment it would still for example be accesible by another OS on your system.

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Yes, that could be. But I prefer not to use it...... So how could I format a partition without using disk management?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A formatting utility, drive manufacturers make them or you could get a linux live cd and do it, but all those are harder than using disk management.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A formatting utility, drive manufacturers make them or you could get a linux live cd and do it, but all those are harder than using disk management.