Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Can't boot!

• Please log in to reply

robinpow

robinpow

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Need major help ASAP.

To start off I'm a Mac person, and know to bring back ups when I travel. However one of the guys here in the hotel, didn't follow the basic rules of traveling with a lop top... ER CDs and back up. His master CDs are literally on the other side of the world! He and his computer are U.S., but we are sitting in Asia.

He has a Presario 2500 with XP home version. The computer refuses to boot in any mode! Keep getting a blue screen with a registry error. ;)

History of problem, he needed a pdf switched to a doc and didn't know how, so he gave me his keychain with the file, and I popped into my powerbook and made the file for him. Then I went to Adobe and downloaded the new version of Acrobat reader for him, and placed this on the drive for him. (I've done things like this for years and never had a problem)

The next morning, he said that when he plugged in his drive it starting "flashing", and then he couldn't find any of his files (on the key chain). Tried to get a better description, but he couldn't do any better. Then sometime that day his computer crashed, and hasn't ran since.

Not too sure what happened, you might say he's not the most computer savvy person. I sent him to the store to buy a fresh copy of "Windows XP" and he came back with Office XP. When I asked him where his system CDs where he showed me the Office CDs pointing to the XP on the label! :tazz:

Not only do I have to get his computer running, but he has valuable data that is not backed up!! I need to rescue this data if nothing else!

Considering what part of the world we are in, I went down to the local shop and bought one of those cheap CDs, thinking that I would be able to boot from it, however still getting same error message.

Any help or suggestions! If it was my platform, it wouldn't be a problem, but Windows isn't my cup of tea, and this poor man needs help. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Advertisements