Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using Command Prompt

• Please log in to reply

aalh004

aalh004

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Is it possible to use the Command Prompt to copy files or folders on to a cd or usb?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm pretty sure you can copy files to a usb through command prompt...as the usb drive would be shown as a volume (assuming you mean a usb flash drive not a usb cd burner)...but to my knowledge the command prompt does not have a cd burning function... there are cd burning softwares that have command line switches....

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yes i meant a USB flash drive. Well im glad to hear that, so how is it done? If i know the exact path of a folder i want copied, how do i get it of the command prompt and onto the flash drive?

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Oh man, this is ancient technique... I gotta dig up some books for this. If nobody has helped by 6 PM this day, I will search for it.

Good luck, it's now 9 AM :whistling:

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
You see, yesterday my computer got hit with a BSOD which is not rectifiable. A moderator tried their best to help me out but unfortunately it wasnt to be. My file system for the C drive is completely corrupt, so a simple windows repair wont cut it this time as it doesnt even recognise a previous windows installation is available.

But the reason for THIS post is that i have some essential "back up" files which i stored on my 5GB FAT32 D drive that doesnt have a windows installation but can still be accessed from a command prompt, and so what im trying to do now is a last ditch salavation effort!

I dont want to install a fresh copy of windows on my C drive just yet, i want to give it some time before i take that route.

Edited by aalh004, 17 June 2006 - 04:13 AM.

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
^^^ANYONE?

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
*crawls from the mud*
*yaawns*
*looks up and shows the book*

K, here is that stuff you requested... took a big dig.

Code
COPY source destination [options]

Example:
COPY oldfile.wp newfile.doc

Quiet copy (no feedback on screen)
COPY oldfile.wp newfile.doc >nul

Notes: When your path contains a space ( ), blank character or special signs, put the path in quotes.

Full path specified
COPY g:\department\oldfile.wp "c:\Files to Convert\newfile.doc"

Well, good luck eh?

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I will try that and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the reply!! :whistling: