Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing Internet Information Services

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
I have looked on how to install and configure your IIS but there are many ways that go from very easy to very extensive. But some of those methods arn't even available when i try to do them.

So if you know how to install an IIS because I am trying to use VMWare I would appreciate it.

Some of everest:

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name FAMILYROOM (Host Computer)
User Name Pablo

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 520J, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 4700
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale-G i915G
System Memory 512 MB (DDR2-400 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (01/10/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Advertisements

kunwon1

kunwon1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
IIS is not designed to work with XP home. If you want to make it work, there are hacks that can get it working, but it's unsupported.

microsoft technet article:
http://support.micro...b;EN-US;q304197

one of the aforementioned hacks:
http://www.iis-resou....php?storyid=48

Use at your own risk, and all that.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
mkloe...just as a note...you do not need IIS for vmware server (i assume you got the free one for testing some live infections) the only use for IIS with vmware is for the internet management of teh vmware server...if you're installing vmware on the same machine you'll be using it from (and honestly...even if you aren't) the IIS management utility is not needed and you can choose to not install it by doing the custom installation

kunwon: good research!

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
I got a question VMware

in the bottom right hand corner it says

You do not have VMware tools installed

is this normal or do i need to install somthing else.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
that is normal...you can't install the vmware tools till you get the virtual machine built and loaded...once you get the machine built and started you click on the vm menu in the tool bar...and choose install vmware tools...it will mount an image as if it were a cd drive..and run the install for the tools...which will drastically improve your mouse and network card performance