Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB external HD & ipod not working on windows xp

• Please log in to reply

makarpc

makarpc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am using a Dell Dimension 3000 with a Maxtor external 120 GB HD for an automatic backup. I noticed about a week ago my internal drive is not being backed up. Using windows explorer I'm having erratic problems seeing the external drive. Also, my ipod is no longer visible on itunes. Dell says to reinstall Windows XP which we all know is a long, difficult process since it wipes the internal HD clean. Does anyone know what would be causing this problem and is there an easier fix? Other USB devices seem to work fine (i.e. blackberry, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, etc.). Thx.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are the other usb devices plugged into a different set of usb ports (i.e. the two devices that don't work plug into the front...but the others plug into the back?) try the ipod or the external drive in one of the ports that you use for one of the other working devices

makarpc

makarpc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I removed the blackberry (which was working) and plugged in the ipod in the same port. Message says "usb device not recognized". Removed ipod and connected it to the laptop, no problem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

"usb device not recognized".

is that what it normally says when you plug it into the ports that it was originally in?